Chapter 9

"Sit both of you" Hank said as he welcomed Kim and Adam into his office, "you doing okay Burgess?"

Kim nodded, "yes, sir. I'm anxious to get back to work"

Adam watched her as she spoke, still unsure if he could handle her being out of his sight.

"Ruzek, what do you think of this?" Hank asked him.

"I'm fine boss, she's good police" Adam explains, "we can keep our personal life separate from work"

"I'm going to partner you up with Antonio, he should be in soon" Hank closed the file he had been working on, "I'm trusting you two to handle this professionally, don't make me regret it"

"We won't boss"

"How's Ruzek with this?" Antonio questioned her as they drove, "he's okay with it?"

Kim laughs, "not at first, and honestly I think he's still having is some issues but he will get over it"

"I'm sure I'm not telling you something you don't already know, but sometimes he can be hard headed and stubborn"

"Adam Ruzek, no way!" She joked.

"So, I take it you're okay with Kim upstairs?" Hank asked as they waited in line at the DMV.

"I don't know if okay is the right word, but I'm dealing with it. I trust Antonio to look out for her" Adam said as he paced "what the hell is taking so long?"

The man in front of them had been at the window for ages, "I swear, you're worse than a little kid" Al said.

"Listen bitch, I want to see Paul!" his voice rising, causing a hush to fall over the room, "get his ass out here NOW! He needed to see that smug asshole's face, he should never of fired him now he would pay.

"Jack, Paul isn't here" Tara said as she tried to get Katie's attention "he left early"

Jack pulled the gun from his waistband "I saw his car, I know he's here"

"Oh shit" Adam muttered when they realized what was going on.

"Everything okay here?" Al asked as he approached the counter.

"Go back over there" he waved the gun in Al's face, "NOW!"

Hank turned around "okay, I'm going"

"How do we play this Al?" Adam asked when he returned, "I say we just take him out"

Al thought about it for a second, "let's wait a minute, I think he's got help in here" Al had noticed him talking to a few guys when they first got there, "I don't want to tip our hand too soon, at least not until we know exactly what we are dealing with"

"Everyone face down on the floor, now!" Another guy yelled firing a warning shot into the ceiling.

Trevor approached them "phones, hand them over" Adam hesitated, "don't be a hero, give me your phone"

Adam reached in his pocket, inadvertently exposing his badge, "what the fuck?" Trevor yelled.

"Get on your feet" he pulled Adam up by his collar, "hands on the counter" Trevor pushed Adam into the counter.

"Calm down, you don't want to do this" Adam told him.

"Jackieboy! We have a cop in here" Trevor yelled, he patted Adam down and removed his gun sliding it along the counter top.

"Has anyone heard from Olinsky and Ruzek?" Voight asked, he was ready to shut it down for the night, but he can't not until they show up.

--------NOTE-------

Alright, here's the deal. I'm struggling with this one again, I'm trying too hard I think to make sure it's not like the trilogy I just finished. I can't promise this will be updated within the next few days, unless of course something breaks through.

Thank you for putting up with me when it comes to this story, I know it must be frustrating.

As always, thanks for reading.

Kristi