Chapter 3

"I have to get back to the district, call me as soon as you know something" Trudy asked Adam as she was leaving, "I mean it, please call me" her voice cracking.

Adam got up from his chair "hey, come here" he said as he pulled her into a hug, he could hear her sob "it's going to be okay" it was his turn to provide comfort.

She pulled back and wiped her eyes "you tell anyone about this moment of weakness and I will deny it" she gave a weak smile "thanks"

Adam pulled out his phone, noticing he had missed some text messages, he replied to Al and his father.

"Ruzek?" Kevin Atwater said from the doorway "how's our girl?" He asked as he placed the pizza on the countertop.

Adam looked at him, "you know?" he asked, and he realized that of course Kevin would know "that was a stupid question, of course you knew" he remembered the night Wendy broke the engagement and the first thing he wanted to do was tell Kim. It was that night he knew he wanted to be with Kim, he had run into Kevin asking if he had seen Kim only for Kevin to tell him to back off, or he would have to take care of things.

Kevin smiled "of course, man" he told him "Kim's crazy about you, she's been that way for awhile we've had many conversations about you when I was her partner" he sat down and offered Adam a slice of pizza "ya gotta eat man"

Adam took a bite "they still haven't told me anything, it's been hours" he said "have they found the prick yet?"

Kevin sighed "no, wasn't anyone in the house, he rigged the gun to go off when someone pushed the button to ring the doorbell" he took a sip of soda "guy better hope we don't find him, Voight's pissed"

Adam pushed the plate away "Kev, I want to get my hands on him and Roman"

Kevin raised an eyebrow "Roman?"

"Kim said that Roman and his ex had been fighting all shift, I want to know why Kim was alone at that door, where the fuck was Roman" he kicked at the stool "he should have had her back, Kev, he should have had her back" his voice cracking.

Kevin didn't know what to say "don't go down that road, man" he said putting his hand on Adam's shoulder "focus on the here and now" he could see his friend unraveling.

A nurse walked in "Officer Ruzek, they'll be bringing your girlfriend back shortly, the surgery is done, she's going to be ok" she told him.

Adam stood up, "thank you" he said.

Kevin smiled "I told you, that girl is tough as nails" he said "I will go update everyone and give you and Kim some time alone"

Adam hugged him, "thanks for sitting with me, and for the pizza"

"You got it, tell Kim that I'm glad she's ok"

"Will do" Adam sat back down and quickly sent his father a text message to let him know Kim was okay.

About thirty minutes later they wheeled Kim in, Adam had fallen asleep in the chair but heard the nurses "how is she?" He asked.

"The doctor should be in shortly, " she said as she placed the bed back and adjusted Kim's IV. "She should wake up soon, just use the call button if she needs anything" she said as she pointed the button out to Adam.

When the nurse left Adam brought the chair closer to Kim's bed, he took her hand "you scared me" he whispered as he watched her sleep, her cheeks had regained their color.
He adjusted the pillow, "darlin', you can't do that to me again" he kissed her forehead and sat back down watching as she slept.

Her eyes felt heavy, she thought as she struggled to open them, her throat was sore. Finally, her eyes cooperated and it took a minute to realize where she was, Adam asleep his head on the edge of the bed, his hand on her thigh. She tried to reach for his hand, but pain shot across her stomach as she moved, causing her to groan in pain.

Adam's head shot up "hey" he said as he stood up, "do you need anything?" He asked her.

"Water" she asked Adam poured her a glass.

He sat down beside her "how do you feel?" He asked still waiting on her doctor to talk to them, "are you in pain?"

She shifted in the bed, "only a little if I move the wrong way" she said still feeling the effects of the anesthesia "to be honest I feel kind of dopey"

Adam smiled, "try and get some sleep" he told her.

Kim watched him, he looked worried, "hey" she said as she placed her hand on his arm, his eyes focused on hers "you were worried about me?"

Adam sighed, "you have no idea" he told her his eyes drifting to the floor, he knew if he wasn't careful he would be in tears "I love you, you know"

She smiled "I love you too" Kim told him.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

The next chapter will start my own spin on things, I know I changed a little bit from the show but from here on out it will be my own story. I'm still planning it out so it may be a day or two.

As always, thanks for reading!

Kristi