Chapter 19

"Son, you got anything to eat in this place?" Bob asked he went over to watch football, "nothing but beer and nasty old pizza"

Adam laughed, "Sorry about that, I haven't been shopping in awhile" truth be told Kim had been the one who did his food shopping, whenever she did her own she always did his too.

"Any progress with Kim?" Bob asked, "I heard her and her partner got hit by a truck a few weeks back, she okay?"

Adam grabbed a handful of popcorn, "just a cut and some bruises, she was damn lucky" he tossed the popcorn in his mouth, "scared the shit out of me, that's for sure"

"Have you seen her?"

"Just the day of the accident, I went to the hospital" his mind drifting back to that day, "it was rough seeing her in that bed, I wanted to hold her Dad, change places with her"

"Did you two talk?"

"A little bit, but it was awkward, you know?" He explained, "once we got back to the district, I hated it. In the hospital it was different, like nothing changed between us at the district everything changed" he remembered how hard it was to not kiss her, "I don't know how to explain it"

"You haven't spoken to her since?"

"Not really, I've seen her at the district but I've left her alone" he was afraid he would say or do the wrong thing, "she gave me back the ring Dad" he pulled the chain out from under his shirt, showing him "see?"

Bob sighed and he felt awful for his son, "I'm sorry Adam, so the wedding it's off?"

Adam hung his head, "I don't want it to be Dad" he told him, "I want to marry her, I want her to be the mother of my children" he explained.

Bob put his hand on Adam's shoulder, "you need to fight for her, don't let her get away" he told him, "I know what you're like when she's in your life and what you're like when she isn't and I gotta say I like the former a helluva lot more than the latter"

"I so needed a girls night!" Erin said as she joined Kim at the bar, "how are you?"

Kim laughed, "I'm good, what about you? How's Jay?"

Erin smiled, "Jay's Jay, sometimes I think he's a little boy trapped in a man's body" she had left him and Adam in the midst of a video game marathon, "he's a hot mess, he's hanging out with Adam-" she stopped herself "I'm sorry, I know you don't want to hear about him"

"It's unavoidable" Kim told her, "you guys are friends, and we work together" she wanted to know how he was doing, "how is he?"

Erin smiled, "he's okay, I think they had plans to go to Kevin's thing he's doing at that club by the pier" she explained, "he's wearing your ring"

"Excuse me?"

"You know that chain he wears?" Erin asked, "your engagement ring is on it, I noticed it earlier"

"Dude, you ready? You aren't gonna beat me!" Jay laughed tossing the remote on the couch, "plus you know Kevin is gonna flip out if we're late" he laughed grabbing his coat, "come on man, you can't mope around forever, it'll be a good time"

Adam stood up "I think I'm just gonna head home, I'm not good company" he said grabbing his wallet and phone off the table.

"Like hell you are" Jay put his hands on Adam's shoulders, "you're coming"

"Alright fine"

"Shit, you didn't tell me Roman would be here" Adam whispered to Jay, "he's the last person I wanna see" he told him.