Chapter 43

"Get Ruzek down here" Hank called out, "couple of patrolmen think they've found something" he couldn't bring himself to say the word.

Remains.

Erin stood, "Hank?" She knew him all too well, he was holding back. "What did they find?"

Hank folded his arms across his chest, "They found the van, along with remains of a white female" he could see Erin's face fall and her eyes well with tears.

"No.." She whispered clutching the corner of the desk, "please, no.."

Hank closed the distance between them and pulled her into his arms, "shh, don't cry" he begged, his mind drifting back to her teenage years, "Adam's going to need all of us, can you pull it together for him and Nick?"

She wiped her eyes, "I don't know if I can, she's my best friend" she admitted.

"Watch me jump Uncle Kev" Nicky asked as he stood on the top step, his knees already bent in preparation for his jump.

"Careful" Kevin told him, smiling as the little guy jumped off the deck, his little body falling to the grass.

"Olinsky, here" Al answered his phone, both Adam and Kevin turning their attention to him.

"Hey Nicky, go on inside and find your grandma" Kevin told him, just the look on Al's face told him all he needed to know.

Adam stood up and turned his back to Al, he wasn't sure he was strong enough to hear whatever it was Al was about to tell him.

"Adam?" Al reached out and touched his back, "a patrol unit found the van, we need to go"

He slowly turned to face him, "Kim?.....did they find her?" He felt as if an elephant was sitting on his chest, "Al?"

Al averted Adam's eyes, "Let's just go, yeah?"

Adam went inside, "Deborah, I need to go. They found the van" he took Nicky from her arms, he needed to hold his boy, "I'll call as soon as I know something, okay?" He inhaled the scent of Nicky's shampoo, he complained to Kim that she needed to use a 'manlier' shampoo that his son didn't need to smell like strawberries.

"Bye Daddy" Nicky said softly, picking up on the tension in the room.

Adam handed him to Deborah, he brought his hand to the little boy's cheek gently caressing it, "I love you Son, and I'm going to bring Mommy home" he leaned in and kissed him and his mother in law.

"Be careful Adam" Deborah called out, it had been too long her daughter was missing for over three days.

Nicky reached up and wiped her eyes, "Crying?"

"Grandma's sad baby, but Daddy'll fix it."

They rolled up on scene, everyone from intelligence surrounded the black van.

Al turned to face him, "Adam, I didn't want to tell you this at the house, but you need to know" his eyes sad.

Adam kept his eyes focused on the van, "What?" He was terrified of what he would find once he stepped out of the car.

Al sighed, "Inside the van.."

Adam turned, "They found a body, didn't they?" It was his worst fear coming to fruition. He had a dream that they found her battered body in the back of the van after it had been submerged in the lake.

The three of them got out, "They did. It matches Kim's description Adam. I'm sorry" Al clapped him on the back, "I'm really sorry"

Adam looked at him, "I need a minute" he said softly.

"Here's Ruzek" Jay said softly, Erin's hand clutched in his. He was thankful to have her by his side. He didn't know how Adam was doing it, how he could function not knowing where Kim was.

Hank was furious, "I'll tell him" he grumbled meeting Adam in the middle of the field.

"Where is it?" Adam asked needing to see the body for himself, "where is she?" He asked again.

Hank looked back at the van, "The morgue. Coroner has already taken it" he didn't even see the body.

"Boss, did you see it?"

Hank shook his head, "It was already gone when we got here"

Adam turned "I need to get to the morgue"

The room was freezing, he'd been in the morgue many times just never as the 'family of the deceased'.

His whole body hurt, he'd thrown up twice already once on the ride over and as soon as he stepped inside.

"You okay?" Al asked for what seemed like the thousandth time.

Adam just nodded, "Alone"

"What?"

Adam looked back at him, "I want to be alone, please?"

Al grabbed his arm, "I don't think that's a good idea, Kid. You shouldn't be alone, not now"

Adam was about to protest when the medical examiner appeared, "Cause of death appears to be blunt force trauma" she said coldly as she read from her notes on the clipboard, "obviously I want know for sure until the autopsy is completed"

She walked to the drawer, "But the fact the back of her head is obliterated makes it pretty clear" she smiled.

"Lady, can you cut the shit. It's his wife" Al was furious with her.

She could feel her cheeks blush, "I'm sorry I didn't know. Just assumed it was just another case" she glanced at Adam who hadn't spoken since he tossed his cookies on her floor.

Slowly she pulled the draw open, revealing a head full of long brown hair, Adam gasped.

"You okay?" Al wrapped his arm around him, "let me do it, Adam, let me"

Adam shook his head, "I have to do this" he whispered, he carefully reached up and pulled the sheet down revealing the victim's face.

"Oh my god"

----Unedited------