Chapter 38

SIX MONTHS LATER

"Kim, are you sure you're okay with this?" Deborah asked her as they gathered on Bob's back deck, as Bob and Adam grilled steaks for dinner, Nicky playing on the swing set Bob had recently put in.

Kim took a sip from her wine glass, "If you're happy Mom, I'm happy. If Bob is the man who makes you happy that's even better." She smiled as she watched Adam lean over the grill and offered his expert 'grilling' advice to his dad.

Deb followed Kim's line of vision, "He does, honey. He's wonderful. I'll always love your dad, but Bob has found his way into my heart"

Kim laughed, "It's a Ruzek thing"

"Who would have thought I'd fall in love with my son in law's father" she beamed.

"You love him?"

"I do"

Kim hugged her, "If this is what you want Mom, I'm all for it."

The guys joined them, "What are you all for darlin'?" Adam asked he took a pull from his beer.

"My mom moving in with your dad" she wrapped her arm around his waist, "makes holidays that much easier, doesn't it?"

A FEW WEEKS LATER

"Bye Mom, Nicky be good for Grandma" she kissed his mop of brown hair that had gone from neat and clean to unruly and shaggy in just a matter of days. Her boy was cursed with his daddy's hair, "you need a haircut!"

"Okay, okay" Nicky grumbled trying to look around her to watch the television, "Bad Boys are on"

She rolled her eyes, her almost four year old son was hooked on COPS, thanks to her husband and father-in-law.

"You working late?" Deb asked folding the last load of laundry, "because he can stay the night, I know Bobby would love it"

Kim chuckled, "Bobby?"

Sure, it was awkward at first but seeing how happy her mother was with Bob she couldn't see any fault with it, both of them were happy and that was all that mattered.

"Hush, and go to work!" Deborah playfully scolded her, "be careful baby"

"So tell me this, is it weird?" Jay asked as they completed the grid search, he used his foot to kick some brush away, hoping to find the murder weapon.

Adam continued his search squatting down, to check under some shrubbery, "is what weird?"

"Your dad banging your mother in law, that's gotta be weird. Plus, what happens if they get hitched, then you're banging your sister. That's just gross" Jay laughed.

"Stepsister Halstead, stepsister" he corrected him, "and I try not think about my dad banging anyone least of all my mother in law" he wiped the dirt from his hands, "but you're right about one thing, I think my dad's gonna propose"

"That's cool, that makes them what? Nicky's grandparents and step grandparents, right? This shit is confusing, at least Emme only has Hank for a grandpa and I don't see anyone hooking up with his miserable ass" Jay explained, Emme was the apple of his and Hank's eye, the one year old was the best thing that had ever happened to him.

"It really doesn't change anything, don't know why you're making it so complicated" Adam said gruffly, "How's Erin feeling?"

Jay shrugged, "Still in shock, we didn't plan on getting pregnant so quickly after Emme" Jay explained, he was happy they both were just the timing sucked, "timing is shit, but what are ya gonna do?"

Adam shook his head, "Halstead...never mind" He stopped mid sentence, he'd give anything to be able to have another kid with Kim, he knew how badly she wanted a baby brother or sister for Nick. It killed him, but it wasn't Jay's fault.

Jay suddenly realized, "Shit, I'm sorry. You know what I mean, right?" He wanted to crawl into a hole.

"I do, it's fine. I'm happy for you guys, Kim is too." He told him, patting him on the back, "it just sucks, that's all"

Sean took the vacant spot, "I'll get us a table, you let dispatch know we're on a meal break, I'm fucking starving" he laughed as he got out of the car and hurried inside hoping to get a table quickly.

Kim laughed, "Sure thing Sean"

"Dispatch, this is Ruzek and Roman, on a meal break at DiSteffano's on Park" she provided their location.

"Copy that Ruzek, enjoy your meal" dispatch responded, "your husband is still in the field, wanted you to know he expects to be home late"

Kim hated when they communicated through the dispatcher but some days it was their only option, "Copy that"

She found Sean already in a booth, a coke in front of him and a Sprite opposite, "thanks for ordering me a drink" she plopped down, "Adam's working late again, I sure hope they close this one soon. It seems like forever since he's spent more than a few hours at home, Nicky misses him something awful"

Sean glanced at the menu, "Sorry, must suck" he ran his finger down the menu, stopping when he found the eggplant parmigiana, "I'm ready to order, you?"

"Shit, Sean" she laughed, "what's the rush? We've got an hour and a half to eat" she decided on a salad.

"I know, I'm just a little on edge" he fiddled with the crushed hot pepper flakes.

"Why?"

"I don't know" he told her, checking his watch.

The van pulled up in front of the restaurant, the driver checked his watch and sent the text.

A reply flashing across his screen within a minute or two, "Good to go, everything's in place, move in!"

They pulled the ski masks down over their faces and the six men charged inside the building, each armed with an AR-15 and hundreds of rounds of ammo.

The lead man fired into the ceiling, "Everyone get the fuck down now!" He screamed as he shot the lights out in the main dining room, "don't fucking look at me!" He kicked at the face of one of the waiters who happened to glance up in his directions.

Kim felt her blood run cold, she reached for the radio on her shoulder.

"I wouldn't do that if I was you..."

---NOTE---
And the cliffhanger is back, I had hoped to have had this chapter done earlier and the next one done already but it didn't happen.

Hopefully the next day or two, sorry!!!

UNEDITED