Chapter 29

"Nicholas" she kept repeating the name letting it roll of her tongue the more she said it she knew  it held meaning for her, "I just know it, he's my grandson how I know that I don't know, but it feels right" she told her, "he's a baby at least I think he's a baby" she could feel her heart race, "I want to remember more! Why can't I remember anything else?" She cried.

"You need to calm down" Leanne said, "you remembered him, you'll remember more. Trying to force the issue isn't going to help, try and relax and more memories will come to you"

She looked at her sideways, "Will they?" She stirred her cup of tea, "No one is even looking for me, I've been here for months and not one single visitor"

"I get that it's hard, but someone is looking for you. Nevada is a pretty big state, it's just gonna take time" she told her, "don't be a negative nancy now, you're starting to remember, it's just a matter of time"

"From your lips" she whispered.

"Cake?" Nicky asked as he chased after Adam, "cake daddy"

Adam set the cake on the counter, Kim had finally agreed to a birthday party, Nicholas was eighteen months old and finally having his first birthday party. On his actual birthday they had a small cake for him and tried to celebrate but Kim couldn't bring herself to enjoy the day.

"In a little while buddy, it's not party time yet" he lifted Nicky on his shoulders, "let's find mommy, okay?"

Adam went down the hallway, finding Kim in the office checking her email "Anything?" He asked her from the doorway.

She shook her head, "Nope, a few new hits to the website but no new leads" she told him closing the laptop, "hey mommy's boy!" She smiled at Nick, "how's the cake look?"

"It's great, I kind of hate the thought of cutting it" he smiled.

"You turn down cake?"

"Well let's not start talking crazy, I'm gonna eat it" he kissed her, "I'm glad we're having this party, Nicholas deserves it" he put his son down, "we need it too, we need to celebrate our son. After everything we've been through together we need something good"

She stroked his cheek, "I know we do, I love you" she hugged him, "thank you for not leaving my side during all of this"

"I told you I'm not going anywhere, I'm yours until I die" he kissed her forehead, "and that won't be for a very long time"

"Pop-Pop!" Nicky yelled when Bob arrived, "up, up" his arms reaching upwards for Bob.

"Hey Nicky" he kissed the little boy, "I got you a cool present, it's in my car let's go see it"

Sean and Kevin arrived next, "What's up Ruzek" Kevin said hugging them both, "hey little man, Uncle Kevin hooked you up with some fresh J's" he handed Kim the sneakers, "the receipt is in the box if the size is wrong, but little dude needs some fresh kicks, and not those chuck taylor's his daddy wears" he laughed, "oh and I got him some cars too"

"What's wrong with chucks, Kev?" Adam asked him, Kevin just laughing at him.

"Kevin, you spent too much on him" Kim said, "but he will love them"

"Bethany picked out the gift" Sean handed her the bag, "she wanted me to tell you she's sorry she's missing the party" he explained, though he knew Kim and Adam wouldn't miss her at all "how are you?"

"Right this minute?" She asked, "I'm good, taking it one day at a time and today is about my little boy" she smiled, "my parents would want us to celebrate him, and that's exactly what I'm doing. He's the only child Adam and I will ever have and we want to cherish every moment we have with him"

"Hey Ruzek!" Jay yelled tossing him a beer, "how's she doing?"

"Today she's okay, where's your wife?"Adam asked opening the beer, he knew things between Kim and Erin had been strained, "she's here right? I feel terrible that they've been fighting"

"She's here, she's in the office with Kim" he told them. "Erin's been a wreck all day but I think they'll be okay"

"Kim, I'm-" Erin said.

"No, I'm the one who needs to apologize" Kim interrupted her, "You're my friend and you wanted to help me" she told her, "I miss you"

"I miss you too, and I hated not talking to you" she had so much she needed to tell her, "I need my best friend back"

Kim hugged her, "I'm back, I have left the search to the Oregon police, I'm just running the website" she told her, "it helps to do something"

"Well, let me help you" Erin asked her.

"Of course" she replied, "now, enough of this lets go celebrate my little boy"

Adam watched Kim as she helped Nicholas open his gifts, she was smiling but he knew the smile wasn't genuine it never reached her eyes. She was definitely putting a 'happy face' on for their son.

After everyone cleared out and Nicholas had passed out cold, he finally made her sit down, "Sit down, tell me whatever it is you're feeling" he wrapped his arm around her shoulder, "No one is here so you don't need to pretend and Nicky is sleeping"

She grabbed his hand and brought it into her lap, her finger running over his wedding band, "I just have this pit in my stomach Adam, none of what happened makes any sense. How could my parents just disappear? Not a single witness?"

He sighed, "I know, its got to be hard for you." he told her, "Hank called in some favors with the LAPD, so who knows maybe they'll come up with something" he pulled her towards him, "Nicky had a blast today"

She smiled, "he did, I hated that I made him wait so long"

"He doesn't have a clue, it's alright" he told her, "why don't we take advantage of him going to bed so early, let me take care of you"

"No!" She screamed, her heart racing the sound of it ringing in her ears, "No! No!" She yelled again, the door flying open.

"What? What is it?"

"They killed him, they killed my husband" she told them.