Chapter 12

"Get these people to the other side of the parking lot!" Hank screamed as the hostages came running from the office, "anyone have eyes on Olinksy and Ruzek?"

An older man stopped, "the cops? They went after the guys who took the place over, they headed towards a back room of some sort" he explained bent over trying to catch his breath "they told us to run once we couldn't see them anymore, we heard gunfire and we took off"

"Thanks, go get checked out" he patted the man's back, he watched as the SWAT team cleared the building.

"We got them" he heard Cunningham announce over the radio, "send the EMTs, we have injuries"

They all entered the building following the sound of the voices, Kim was trying to remain calm but her mind was racing. Relief washed over her when she spotted Adam sitting in a chair clutching his side.

She kneeled in front of him, her hand on his thigh "you okay?" She could see the pain written on his face but as usual, he wouldn't admit it.

He grabbed her hand, "yeah, I'm good" he told her through clenched teeth, the simple act of breathing hurt "the EMT thinks it may be a broken rib or two, but I'm fine"

Al was in Jack's face, "are you going to tell us what the point of this was?"

Jack smirked at him, "I'm not telling you shit without an attorney, you boys keep your mouths shut too, you hear me?"

"Get them out of here" Al screamed, the EMTs placed the backboard on the stretcher, "you're Keith, right?" He asked, the man's face familiar.

Keith opened his mouth to respond, "Asshole, I told you to keep your mouth shut!" Jack interrupted him, "I mean it, say nothing"

Al had his hand on the stretcher, "Detective Olinsky, we need to get him to the hospital" the EMT said as she tried to roll the stretcher to the waiting ambulance.

"You guys wanna fill me in?" Hank asked as the EMT wrapped Adam's chest in an ace bandage, "does he need to go the hospital?"

The EMT turned to Hank, "yea, I would say so. He needs an X-ray, I think he has some broken ribs"

"Boss, I'm fine" Adam said wincing as the EMT put tape on the bandage holding it in place, "we need to figure out what this was about, something else is going on"

"Burgess, take his ass to the hospital" Hank told her.

"Yes sir" Kim replied, "Adam let's go"

"You can ride in the ambulance, if you want" the EMT said as she cleaned up the wrappers that littered the floor.

Adam shook his head, "I don't need an ambulance, I don't even need the hospital" he told them, "I'm telling you, something isn't right with this"

"Go Ruzek!" Hank demanded.

They waited in the small room for the doctor to appear, "talk to me Kim, you're pretty quiet" he was really starting to hurt, the adrenaline wearing off and the pain taking over.

Kim stood beside him, "is everyday in intelligence like this?" she ran her hand through his hair, "it's insane"

He smiled at her "today was a bit crazier than usual, but yea it's pretty much balls to the wall everyday" he shifted his body on the bed unable to find a position where it didn't hurt.

"Adam, I don't know--"she started to say only for the doctor to return.

"So, you do in fact have a rib injury" he pulled the film out and clipped it to the lighted box on the wall, he took his pen out and circled the bottom few ribs on the left side of his chest "these here, all have hairline fractures." he brought his pen back up to one of them "this one is the worst, it's almost a clean break"

"What's the treatment?" Kim asked.

"Nothing we can do, just keep it wrapped and aspirin for pain. Take it easy for the next few days and follow up in a few days" the doctor removed the film and slid it back in the folder, "the nurse should be here in a minute with your discharge papers and a number of the CPD doctor you need to make an appointment with"

"Thanks doc" Adam replied shaking the man's hand.

"You bet, just take it easy the next few days"

Kim handed Adam his shirt, "here, put this back on" she told him she was tired of siting in the hospital.

She watched as he struggled to lift his left arm, "you are in pain, Adam"

"It's only when I move" he finally got his arm in the sleeve, "really I'm fine"

"Are you going to be okay?" Kim asked they pulled up in front of the 21st so Adam could get his truck, he looked at her.

"You aren't coming to my place?" He was surprised, "I kind of hoped you would stay with me"

"You need to rest Adam"

"I would rest easier having you beside me" he took her hand, "please, it's been one helluva day. We can leave my truck and pick it up in the morning. I just want to go home and forget about this day"

"You're resting Adam, I mean it."

Kim watched as he struggled to get comfortable, "what happened Adam?"

He exhaled, "Al needed to take care of something for Lexi, I don't know what but as we stood in line we heard a commotion, whatever went down today it's just the tip of the iceberg Kim, it wasn't a robbery"

"How did you end up hurt?"

"The guy wanted our phones and as I lifted up my shirt to get mine, he saw my badge" he told her, "demanded my phone and gun, I gave it to him and he proceeded to toss me to the floor and kicked the shit out of my ribs"

She ran her hand down his chest, "I'm sorry" she lightly ran thumb over the bandage, "does it hurt a lot?"

"Not too much, but you need to stop if you're serious about this whole resting nonsense" he told her "you keep touching me like that and I won't be able to help myself" he arched an eyebrow.

Kim leaned back against the headboard, she turned away from Adam, "I think I made a mistake" she whispered, she looked back at Adam," I don't know what to do about it"