Chapter 23

Adam was slamming his desk drawer shut, "why can't I find a fucking pen in this place, who the fuck keeps stealing mine?" He yelled.

"Woah, Ruzek. What's your problem?" Hank asked him.

"It's nothing Boss, I'm sorry" he plopped down in his chair, "it's just" he was about to explain, "never mind, it's fine. I'll be fine"

Hank approached Al, "Olinsky, what's up his ass?" He whispered motioning to Adam, "talk to him see what's up"

Al nodded, "he's got a lot going on but he'll be fine"

"Let's go for a drive kid" Al clapped him on the back, "you look like you need a change of scenery"

"Really?" Adam exhaled, "I'd rather just catch up on paperwork"

"And I'd rather not have your ugly ass as a partner" Al smiled, "let's go"

They drove towards the pier, "what was that outburst back at the bullpen about?" Al asked as he searched for a parking spot, "something going on with Kim?"

Adam laughed sarcastically, "Yea, somethings going on with Kim. She fucking told Roman she was pregnant and still hasn't said a word to me" he unbuckled and climbed out of the car, "I put the pregnancy test on my pillow this morning, she knows I know now" he slammed the door.

"How do you know she told Roman?" He jogged a little to catch up to him.

"I talked to him this morning, told him to look out for her because she's pregnant" he recounted, "that's when he said 'she finally told you', Al it was like getting kicked in the balls" he picked a rock up and tossed it in the lake, "Why the fuck isn't she telling me?"

"I'm not the one you need to be asking" Al said, "you need to calm down, and talk to her" he couldn't help but notice the parallel "you know it wasn't too long ago that you were the one keeping a secret"

Adam lifted his gaze from the ground, "it's not the same thing O and you know it"

"Bullshit, kid, bullshit"

"How's it the same, she's carrying my fucking kid" he yelled, "not keeping a past relationship from her, this is my kid Al"

"You two talk about having kids at all?" Al asked shading his eyes from the sun, "you ever bring it up?"

Adam shrugged his shoulders, "I've mentioned it, why?"

"Kid, I'm not judging you by any means" he told him, "but maybe the fact you've been engaged three different times, has Kim worried that this isn't what you want" he sat on bench, "that you don't really want to settle down"

"I do though, if I didn't want to I wouldn't have asked her to move in with me" he pulled the chain out from under his shirt "I'm still wearing her ring around my neck, I've wanted to ask her again so many times but I don't want her to think I'm pressuring her"

"Hey Burgess!" Trudy called her over, "I swear I wasn't trying to eavesdrop, but I heard boy wonder and Roman this morning, are you pregnant?"

Kim brought her hands to her face, "Yes, I am" she told her, "guess everyone knows how, huh?"

"I gotta ask, why'd you tell Roman before Adam?"

"I didn't tell Sean, he figured it out" she explained "I was a little leery of telling Adam"

"Why?"

Kim took Trudy's hand and led her into a vacant office, "I was afraid Adam wouldn't be happy, that he never got married because deep down he didn't want to settle down" she admitted, "my mother says I'm being silly but I don't know, I just couldn't bring myself to tell him, I was afraid he'd leave us"