Chapter 4

Kim watched as Adam finally slept after the nurse had a cot brought in, he refused to leave and only gave in to sleep when Kim begged him.

"You up for visitors?" She heard from the doorway, Sean was standing there flowers in his hands.

Sean noticed Adam sleeping, hoping he wouldn't wake up, "I can come back" he said.

"No, don't be silly" Kim said motioning him to come in "Adam could sleep through an explosion"

Sean put the flowers down, "look, Kim, I screwed up" he said as he sat down "I should have been at that door with you"

She sighed "Sean, stop" she said "it's not your fault" she told him, she didn't remember all of it but from what she did remember it wouldn't of mattered if he was at the door.

Sean looked in Adam's direction "I don't think he would agree" he said softly and he couldn't blame Adam for being angry with him, he was angry with himself. "Listen, you need to rest and I'm sure I'm the last person he's going to want to see when he wakes up" he said pointing at Adam "I'm glad you're ok" he said as he looked back on last time.

Try as she might Kim couldn't stay asleep, she kept having nightmares, the sound of the gunshot waking her each time. Quietly she turned the television on, hoping the soft glow of the light would help, Adam started to stir.

"I'm sorry" she told him when she realized she had woken him "go back to sleep" she told him as she turned the volume lower.

"Why aren't you sleeping?" He asked her, "you look exhausted"

She sat up further in the bed her hand on her stomach trying to ease the pain as she moved "I can't Adam" she said as she wiped a tear "every time I close my eyes, it's like I'm right back on those steps"

Adam stood up and started moving his cot, "will this help?" He asked as lowered the guardrail on her bed and pushed the cot so it was flush against her bed only a tiny bit lower, he got on the bed and got as close as he could.

She rested her head on his chest and she felt his heartbeat "this could work" she said feeling comforted by the rhythm of his heart.

Adam noticed the flowers "flowers are nice, where did they come from?" He knew they hadn't been there before he fell asleep.

"Sean, brought them" she could feel Adam's body tense at the mention of Sean "what is it?"

Adam groaned, he didn't really want to get into it now "nothing, it's just been a long night" he told her "you'll never guess who waited with me while you were in surgery" he needed to change the subject.

Kim glanced up at him "who?"

"Sargent Platt, and she knew about us" he told her "said something about your eyes when you're around me"

Kim felt her cheeks blush "she didn't say that did she?"

"Don't worry, she said I have a goofy smile or something when I see you" he said "she said she wouldn't say anything but by now I think the secret is out, I'm sorry" he felt bad that it would ruin her chance at making intelligence.

"Adam, why don't you go home, please" Kim said as she ate her breakfast, the food being less than stellar "you hardly slept at all last night" she was pretty sure he didn't sleep at all, she heard him watching a hockey game, and he made a few phone calls.

"Are you trying to get rid of me?" he smiled.

"Of course not, but you need to rest, at least for a little bit please Adam"

Adam grabbed his wallet and keys, "just for a little bit, call me if you need anything" he kissed her, "I love you"

Kim smiled "I love you too"

Adam decided against going home, he needed to take care of something. He had to get it off his chest, he went upstairs to check in with intelligence.

"How's Burgess?" Erin asked.

"She's okay, sore but she's lucky" Adam said as sat at his desk and checked his messages.

Erin glanced at Jay who mouthed 'tell him', groaning "just so you know, everyone knows about you and Burgess"

He sighed, "I kind of figured, thanks for the warning"

Roman walked out of Voight's office, Adam trying his best to ignore him, this wasn't where he wanted to have this conversation.

"Adam, you got a minute?" Sean asked as he approached the desk "how is Kim feeling?"

He couldn't help it, "she's fine" his response short and curt "I gotta ask Roman, what the fuck happened?" He said his voice louder than he would have liked, he was now the center of attention.

Sean was uneasy "I don't know" he said sheepishly, it was the truth he knew it would piss Adam off.

Adam stood up his chair sliding across the floor smacking into Kevin's desk "you don't fucking know, I swear" Adam yelled as he lunged at Sean pining him against the wall "I'm going to kick your ass" he threw a punch connecting with Sean's jaw.

"Ruzek, knock it off" Olinsky yelled trying to separate the two.

"What the hell is going on out here?" Hank yelled after hearing the commotion "Ruzek my office now, Roman get out of here"

Adam slumped down in the chair, Hank entered his office slamming the door "you want to tell me what that was all about?"

"That son of a bitch, failed Kim" he was livid "he was to busy fighting with his ex to cover his partner"

"Ruzek, Roman's good police, the other night wasn't his fault" Voight told him, "take some furlough"

"I'm fine boss" Adam said.

"I'm not asking Ruzek, take some time" he said "you can leave the door open"