Chapter 18

He had been walking for miles, his feet numb he wished he could say the same for the rest of him, he knew he blew it.

She waited until she was sure he had left, and went into the kitchen, she spotted it immediately the ring on the table a note underneath it.

She read it quickly, tears spilling from her eyes. She couldn't understand why he wasn't honest with her, she had known he was a flirt and it was something she struggled with but she accepted it that it was just who he was. This, this was something totally different, he seemed to enjoy being engaged but not enough to get married and found another woman before ending the engagement. That's what scared her the most, who would catch his eye and take him from her.

She crumpled the note up and threw it in the garbage can, only to stare at it and remove it a few minutes later. She put the ring in her jewelry box along with the note and climbed into bed, ultimately crying herself to sleep.

"C'mon Pops!" He pounded on the door, he was too exhausted to continue walking to his place it was a good thirty minute walk, "Dad!"

Bob was startled by the incessant pounding, he pulled his robe on and went to the door, "Jesus Christ Adam, what is wrong?" He asked his son, he took in his battered face "what now?"

Adam went inside, he plopped down on the couch, "She knows, Pops. She threw the ring at me and told me to get out" he explained.

"Who'd you fight?"

"Her partner, Sean Roman" Adam told him, "he found out about Brandi and told me I needed to tell Kim" he told him the whole story, "but I was a little buzzed earlier and I wanted to talk to him, maybe get him to back off"

"Oh, shit Adam" Bob said, "you should have just told her"

"No shit dad!, I know that now. Anyway, we ended up throwing hands and Kevin and Jay both heard all of it" he leaned back "Kevin and Kim are close, he made it clear he was telling Kim if I didn't, so I told her"

"You have to give her some time Adam, she loves you" he hoped Kim would be able to forgive his son, she was the best thing that ever happened to him, "I warned you Adam, I told you this could happen"

"I get it. The worst part of it is, Kim and I had gone out for dinner a few nights ago and Brandi was there, Kim had gone to the restroom and when she came back Brandi was just leaving" he retold the story, "Kim asked who she was and I told her an old friend, and then said she wasn't even much of a friend"

"Another lie"

Adam got up from the couch, "Fuck this shit, I will walk the rest of the way to my apartment" he didn't feel like hearing it, "I guess you could say I learned to lie from you dad"

When Monday morning rolled around the last thing Kim wanted to do was go into work, but she refused to let Adam dictate what she did. She hadn't spoken to Sean at all since Adam told her the truth and was leery of their first encounter, she was annoyed that he kept it from her.

"Hey Burgess, come see this!" Trudy waved her over, "look at these centerpieces aren't they gorgeous, what's even better is the florist said she would add police ribbons to them" she smiled, finally looking Kim in the eye, "alright, forget the ribbons, the florist was iffy on it too" she said. "Hey you don't look so hot, what's wrong?"

"The wedding is off" she said quickly before retreating to the locker room.

She chased after her, "Kim, what happened?"

Kim starting changing into her patrol uniform, "I don't want to talk about it, I'm sorry you wasted all your time. I can pay you if you want"