Chapter 22

She stared at the stick, the blue plus sign made her feel absolutely sick to her stomach, she wasn't ready for this. "This can't be happening" she whispered as she held the stick in her hands, thankful Adam wasn't home.

It was the third test she had taken in the last week, each time she hoped for a different outcome only to be disappointed when the outcome remained the same. It wasn't that she didn't want children, the timing was just shitty.

"Hey Darlin', where are you?" Adam called out tossing his keys on the counter along with his service weapon and wallet, "I've missed you"

She quickly wrapped the stick in an hand towel and hid it in the drawer, she needed to get used to the fact she was pregnant before she told Adam.

"Hey, I didn't think I would ever see you" she teased hugging him, her hand resting on his cheek, "you're in serious need of a shave, babe" 

"It was a rough one, a shave isn't all I need" he smiled as he leaned in and kissed her, "how's things here?" He asked her.

"Good" she said a little too quickly, "Just a little too quiet" she could see Adam looking at her funny, "what?"

Adam scratched his forehead, "You okay? You seem a little jumpy" he grabbed the orange juice from the fridge and poured a glass, the scent of it making her feel sick, he could see her discomfort, "you sick or something?"

"Just getting over a bug" she lied, "the smell of your juice just left me a little queasy, I'm fine really"

He put the empty cup in the sink, "I'm gonna jump in the shower, you're welcome to join me" he winked at her.

"That's quite an offer but I meeting my mom for brunch" she checked her watch, "I gotta go, see you in a few hours" she kissed his cheek, "I love you"

"Love you too"

"Hi honey" Deborah Burgess greeted her daughter, "I'm glad you could meet me, it's been forever"

"It hasn't been that long mom, I've just been busy" she told her the aroma off the restaurant almost more than she could bare, something her mother quickly picked up on.

"You feeling alright? You look a little green"

"I'm fine mom"

Deborah smirked, "you're pregnant aren't you?" She folded her hands, "this is wonderful news, your daddy is going to be over the moon. We had just been talking about when you and Adam would give us a grand baby" she rambled, her excitement taking over.

"Mom!" Kim snapped, "can you stop talking for a like a minute" she felt awful for snapping but she was over whelmed, "you can't tell daddy, not yet anyway. Adam doesn't know. How did you even know? I haven't even been to the doctor yet" she closed the menu, "those tests you get at the pharmacy, they're accurate right?"

"Honey, it's mothers intuition" she smiled "For the most part, if it says you're pregnant you are, they sometimes give a false negative but never a false positive" she told her, "are you not happy?"

Kim wiped at her eyes, "I don't know what I am to be honest" she chuckled, " it wasn't that long ago that I called off the engagement and now, I don't know"

"You love Adam, right?"

"Of course I do Mom,"

"So what's the problem, that man loves you. This is a good thing" she reached for Kim's hand, "trust me, Adam will be thrilled"

"Damn it" he cursed when he realized his shampoo wasn't in the shower, he reached for Kim's bottle but knew she would be pissed if he used hers. He quickly jumped out and rummaged through the drawers looking for his shampoo.