Battle 9: Seeing is Believing

Having received his new Pokémon Egg, Niko was on his way to the Saffron City Gym. However....

Niko: Huh!? In front of him was a sign.

Duplica: "The road to Saffron City is currently under construction. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Niko: What!? So what do we do now?

Duplica: Looks like we'll have to take a detour. She says taking out the map. Since we can't go to Saffron City, maybe we should head to Vermillion City.

Niko: Vermillion City? What's there?

Duplica: Lots a stuff. Look there's even a Pokémon gym there. Could be worth checking out. Though it may take a while to get there.

Niko: Hmm. Sure. Why not? It sounds like it'll be fun.

Duplica: Okay. To get there we're gonna have to cut through Lavender Town.

Niko: Alright, Lavender Town, here we come! Niko said with gusto.

Eevee: Eevee!

The two trainers venture toward Lavender Town. As they continued walking, they noticed a fog rolling in.

Niko: This isn't good. This fog seemed pretty heavy.

Duplica: We'll be in trouble if we get separated in this. We might get lost. Hey, let's hold hands and stay together.

Niko: Good idea. Niko grabbed a hold of Duplica's hand. This surprised her a bit.

Duplica: 😳

Eevee: Vee! (Hey)

Niko: Huh? Eevee, where are you? Niko asked.

Eevee: Eevee. (Down here)

Niko: Here? Niko knelt down a bit and grabbed onto something.

Unfortunately....it wasn't Eevee.

???: Wak! Whatever it was, it was upset as it smacked Niko's hand away.

Niko: Ow! He shouted.

Duplica: Niko, what's wrong?

Niko: Something just him me.

RUSTLE RUSTLE RUSTLE

Duplica: Do you think it was...a ghost!? She said, frightened.

Niko: N-Nah. There's no such thing. He laughed sheepishly.

Meanwhile, a pair of eyes were watching the duo and their Pokemon walk through the fog. Eventually, they arrive at Lavender Town's Pokemon Center.

Nurse Joy: Welcome to the Pokémon Center. How may I help you?

Niko: Hi, Nurse Joy. We were hoping if we could stop here for the night.

Nurse Joy: Of course! We have plenty of room. She said happily, but her demeanor changed. We have a lot of vacancies. Not many travelers stay for long.

Duplica: Why's that?

Nurse Joy: Well, Lavender Town is known as a sort of ghost town. Mainly because of the Pokémon Tower.

Niko: Pokémon Tower?

Nurse Joy: Yes. That big tower over there. Nurse Joy pointed at said tower not too far away. Ghost Pokémon live there and they usually scare away the visitors. And the one the forest surrounding the town isn't helping either.

Duplica: Wait. There's a Ghost Pokémon in the woods?

Nurse Joy: Yes. No one's seen it, but apparently it attacks anyone passing by.