Battle 48: From Friend to Foe

After losing his match against Ritchie, Ash remained in his room, sulking.

Ash: 'Why did I have to lose?'

Pikachu: Pika Pi. (Ash) Outside the room, Ash's friends all check to see if he's okay.

Oak: So, he's just been lying in there since he lost the match?

Brock: Yeah. He won't even eat or anything.

Delia: Maybe he's coming down with a cold.

Brock: No. He's just depressed.

Niko: Hmm. Niko processes this then walks off.

Duplica: Niko? Aren't you gonna help Ash?

Niko: I don't have to. Niko turns back with a smile. He'll get through this. Anyway, I gotta get ready for my match. He says running off.

Oak: Heh. I could sell bottles of that boy's optimism.

Kota: What's he depressed about?

Delia: About the match?

Duplica: More like how it ended.

Brock: I bet he feels like a total loser since Ritchie beat him.

Misty: He should be happy he made it all the way to the fifth round. I know he feels bad, but he can't just mope around forever. Misty enters Ash's room. Hey, Ash. Let's go get something to eat.

Ash: No thanks.

Misty: Well, how about a walk?

Ash: You can go with the others. I'm not in the mood.

Misty: We can go down to the Pokémon Village and buy some souvenirs. Maybe they'll have some..But before Misty can finish, Ash yanks his arm away.

Ash: Leave me alone, Misty!

Misty: Hey, I'm just trying to help you, Ash!

Ash: Well, I don't want your help! This only made Misty angry.

Misty: Hey, watch it, loser. Don't be such a big baby just because you lost!

Ash: Just get out!

Pikachu: Pika Pika! (Guys, just calm down) Soon, some of the others enter.

Delia: You mustn't be angry with Misty, dear. She thinks you should be very happy.

Ash: Why? I didn't see you out there winning any of those matches!

Misty: When are you going to get over yourself, Ash?!

Ash: Why don't you?!

Misty: Why don't I what?! It was Charizard who's to blame for disobeying you and making you lose the match, you sore loser!--OW!

Duplica: We're here to cheer him up not make him feel worse.

Pikachu: Pika. (Calm down)

Brock: Okay, that's it!

Oak: I'm afraid Misty has a point, Ash. Maybe you could've gone much further if you hadn't been so sure of yourself and you trained your Charizard properly.

Ash: But, I...

Oak: One can only advance so far relying on strength and intuition. Niko made it through his matches because he used strength, quick thinking, and determination. Trainers must learn to battle with a deeper understanding of each Pokémon's natural abilities. But to hear you talk about Charizard, I'm sure you'll agree with me when I say that it was better off as a Charmander.

Misty: Relying on more than just strength and intuition and understanding each natural ability of a Pokémon's not easy. Especially for some lazy trainers.