Battle 47: Friend and Foe Alike

Receptionist: The next trainer will be Ash Ketchum from Pallet Town.

Ash: That's me! Ash fishes for a Magikarp. Let's see. Ash soon gets a bite, and the Magikarp reads A-3.

Receptionist: A-3. That means your next opponent is going to be...Next to Ash's picture, is Ritchie's. Bringing a look of shock to our heroes, especially to the two trainers on screen. Both friends turned opponents stare at each other, still in surprise and shock.

Narrator: While thwarting another Team Rocket scheme, Ash and Ritchie quickly became friends. But now, a twist of fate will pit them against each other in the fifth round of battle in the Pokémon League competition. Both are determined to triumph, but who will emerge victorious? And can their friendship survive the struggle?

That night, both Niko and Ash are preparing for their confrontations, but Ash is still in disbelief that his new friend is now an opponent. And Niko was concerned about his odds.

Ash: Why's my next match have to be against Ritchie? Everything happens to me.

Misty: Hey, Ash! Check this out! Ash turns his attention to a computer that Misty is using.

Ash: What are you doing?

Misty: I clicked onto the Pokémon League database, and it has lots of information about all the trainers, including Ritchie.

Ash: Something about Richie? On screen, Richie's tournament stats are brought up.

Brock: Ritchie's won all four rounds, without losing any Pokémon! This kid's amazing!

Ash: Well, Niko and me won four rounds too, you know.

Misty: Yeah, you two were lucky, but Ritchie really knows what he's doing. And Richie's only three Pokémon! Butterfree, Charmander, and Pikachu.

Brock: An electric type, a fire type, and a bug/flying type. They're almost the same kind of Pokémon you use, Ash.

Niko: You know, you two are a lot alike.

Misty: That means it all depends on which one's the better trainer! You're in trouble.

Ash: I'm just as good a trainer as Ritchie is!

Misty: It must be nice to dream when you're wide awake.

Ash: You'll cry from being jealous when I win!

Brock: I don't know, Ash. Battling against a friend won't be easy.

Ash: Ritchie may be a friend, but he's a competitor, too. And nothing's gonna keep me from winning that match tomorrow.

Pikachu: Pika! (Oh yeah) The next day, at the Pokémon Center.

Ritchie: Excuse me, Miss. I'd like to pick up the Pokémon I left yesterday, please.

Nurse Joy: I have them all right here waiting for you, Ritchie. And they're ready for your big battle today.

Ritchie: Great. Thank you very much. Soon, our heroes walk in.

Nurse Joy: Good luck!

Ritchie: Thanks! Soon, Ash spots Ritchie.

Richie: Oh, hi, Ash.

Ash: Hi, Ritchie. Are you ready for the match?

Ritchie: Listen, Ash. Because we're friends, we should promise each other to make this the best battle that we ever had.

Ash: Okay. That's a promise, Ritchie.

Ritchie: I'll see you later at the stadium, but for now, I'm gonna go there to catch Niko's match before it starts.