Ch. 13

Ring...

Ring...

Ri-

"Hello?"

"This is Hyewon correct?"

"Imo? Yeah it's me, what's wrong?"

"You never answered when I called you these past couple months!"

'Ah shit-'

"O-oh about that... Sorry imo, I... It's been a bad couple months, I'm better now though."

A moment of hesitation seemed to pass through the phone, "well, I'm glad you're alright..."

"Thanks imo... Is there something you wanted to tell me?"

"It's... about your dad."

The freelancer stopped twirling her pencil around her fingers from the mention of her father, "my dad?"

Hyewon heard her aunt sigh within the phone, "he's at it again."

A frown began to form, "do you want me to come over? Is eomma okay?"

"She'll be fine, but I think it'll be nice of you to show up at her house tomorrow. I just left but if you come over tomorrow, she'll be happy to see you again, Hyewon-ah."

Her aunt weakly chuckled, "I mean, it's been a while since you've seen her right?"

"Yeah... It's been a while..."

"Good good... For now stay safe okay? And warm too, it's cold tonight."

"Nae~ Thank you for telling me all this, imo. I'm sorry again for being gone for a while."

"Ah don't worry about it, I know you have your reasons. Jaljja, Hyewon-ah."

Hyewon let her hand fall from her face as the call ended, it didn't occur to her until now that time would've still been passing when she was kidnapped.

She didn't even see that her aunt called her a couple times when she was gone.

An old feeling resurfaced as she slumped lower into her chair, something she hadn't felt in years.

'He's at it again.'

She grumbled as she pushed herself up, "he's always at it."

It was a miracle he hadn't done anything in the past few years, but then again, how much did her aunt and mother hide from her so that she didn't have more stress piled on with her early college life?

She picked up her phone and keys, and it took all she had in her to not slam her front door while walking out into the dark night.

It had been a while since she visited her mother, and she hated that her visit tomorrow would be one of sorrow. Her mother didn't deserve any of this.

She barely felt the chilly air as she walked across the lonely street, going down a route she had come to learn like the back of her hand as her body stiffened throughout the walk.

'I hope she's here.'

Hyewon hesitated as she stared at the small doorbell attached to the front of a flower shop, hearing a small chime from within as she pressed the ringer.

A few moments passed before she vaguely saw a door open within the store in the dark, squinting her eyes and turning away from the sudden light that flooded the inside of the building.

She watched as a familiar woman opened the door to the flower shop, the woman in her pajamas with worry and confusion in her eyes.

"Hyewon? What are you doing this late?"