Chapter five "Back home"

We stayed with Dani's parents for two more days after pride. We went out for coffee with Dave and her friends. Meeting people from her past made me feel even closer to Dani. She seemed to handle things pretty well, too, she even let people call her Dee. I knew she still didn't like it, but she was more at ease with it.

On Wednesday we decided to go to that place where we had the picnic a while ago, but this time, it would be only the two of us. We decided to walk to the pond instead of the lake since Dani couldn't stand the heat.

Dani's POV

We got to the pond and sat under a tree.

"It's really pretty and quiet here."

"It really is." Cam said. I took her hand in mine.

"Are you excited for college?"

"A little, I guess... I'm more excited to be with you, though." I chuckled.

"We have such an impact on each other. You make me happy and a better person."

"You make me a better person too, Danielle, and happy and horny." I rolled my eyes. "What? Don't I make you horny?"

"Sure love." I smiled.

We sat in silence for a while. When we went to pride, Cam got to learn so many things about me. She met a lot of my friends too. It felt great getting to share these things with her, but If I'm being honest, the best thing of our getaway was her, punching my trashy ex. I enjoyed it so much, I just wish that she hadn't gotten punched as well.

Cam's phone rang and her dad's photo appeared on her screen. She picked it up.

She didn't look like him at all. His nose was bigger and his hair were a lot lighter than hers, you could barely tell that they were related.

"Danielle." She waved her hand in front of my face. I had completely zoned out.

"Sorry." I smiled.

"What were you thinking?"

"You don't look much like your dad."

"No." She gave me a half smile. "I look a lot like my mum. Dad's genes didn't do much." I eyed her. "People used to joke that we could be twins." She smiled.

She never talked about her mum and every time I asked about her, she shut down. I wanted to ask about her, but I didn't want to pressure her to talk about something she didn't want to.

I turned to look at her and she seemed to be the one that was zoning out this time.

"Cam." I said softly and she turned to look at me. She opened her mouth to say something but stopped. She took out her phone from her pocket and I did the same. I guess that was it for today.

"That's us." She said after about fifteen minutes. I looked up from my phone. It was a picture of young Cam with a woman that looked just like her, hugging her. The resemblance was uncanny. "I'm 13 in the picture. It was a year before she passed away."

I pulled her into a hug and held her tightly. I could only imagine the pain she went through.

"She's beautiful." I told her.

"She was. She was really funny too. And sweet." We pulled away and she looked at the photo again.

"Just like you." She smiled.

"I haven't gone through these pictures for years, and I'm not going to go through the rest of them, because I'll end up crying." I gently pressed my lips against hers.

"It's okay, you don't have to. I'm glad you shared this with me." She nodded.

"Maybe one day we can look through them together." She smiled.