Chapter thirty-one "Athena"

Danielle’s POV

“Cam, are you ready?”

“Yes babe, give me a second to grab my phone, keys and wallet.” I waited for Cam by the door. Maria, her husband and their daughter were visiting the US, they were planning on moving here in the future and they are trying to visit all the places they have in mind so they can make the right decision. They were staying at the city next to ours and they drove up around two hours to meet up for coffee.

Cam came and we got in the car. I sped a little to get us there on time.

“Dani, slow down, are you trying to get us killed?”

“I’m trying to get us there on time.”

“Better late than dead Danielle.”

“We wouldn’t be having this discussion right now if you hadn’t taken forever to get ready.”

“Do you want to chill with the bitchy attitude?” I rolled my eyes and kept driving. It was rude to be late when they had to drive 2 hours with a young child to meet us. It bothered me that Cam couldn’t understand this. “So you are just not going to talk to me?” I ignored her. “Fine.” She raised her hands in the air.

We got there on time. Maria and her family were waiting for us at the parking lot, just like we had arranged. As we got out of the car and walked towards them, Cam reached out for my hand. I took it in mine and gave it a light squeeze to let her know that I wasn’t upset with her. She turned to look at me with a smile and I pecked her lips.

When we got to them Maria’s husband gave us a weird look. His wife nudged his arm and he averted his gaze from us. I looked over at Cam. We had met before but we never had the time to chat.

“How are you?” Maria asked with a warm smile.

“We are good, what about you?”

“Pretty good, we spent the past few days going around in the area, looking at houses and neighborhoods.” We decided on a café and made our way there. The little kid was adorable as she walked, holding her mum’s hand. She told her something in Greek and Maria made a move to pick her up, but her husband stopped her. He whispered something to her, but she rolled her eyes and picked up the kid anyway.

We made it to the café and a waitress took our order.

“How old is she?”

“She’s 7”

“Awww” She waved to the little kid. The little girl smiled and looked away. Her mum told her something in Greek and she waved back at Cam.

“My name is Athena.” The little girl said in English, Cam’s eyes widened, she stuck her bottom lip out and turned to look at me.

“She’s so cute.” She squealed and I smiled.

“So are you.” I said and she smiled at me.

“My name is Camilla.” The little girl laughed and Cam turned to look at Maria frowning.

“Your name means camel in Greek.”

“Oh.” Cam said and chuckled. Maria told Athena something.

“Sorry.” The little girl said to Cam.

“We started teaching her English two years ago so she won’t be behind all the other kids when it’s time to move. But we also speak Greek to her.”

“Andrew, do you speak Greek as well?” I asked him, trying to include him in the conversation.

“Yes.” He said bluntly.