Chapter twenty-five "Moving forward"

I spent two days at my house since both Dani and I had to get some things ready for the beginning of the school year.

I woke up today to a call from Dani.

“Good morning, babe.”

“Oh princess, I woke you up, I’m so sorry.”

“It’s okay, love. I don’t mind waking up to your voice.” I few seconds passed, and I knew she was smiling.

“It’s my parents’ annual fundraiser tomorrow, and I was wondering if you wanted us to go.”

“Your parents’ what?” I chuckled. “I’m too sleepy for this.”

“How about a coffee first?” I heard, and Dani walked through the door. “I wanted to surprise you.” She smiled and came to sit on my bed.

I sat up and hugged her. I pressed my lips on hers, and she smiled into the kiss.

“I brought muffins too.”

“I love you, muffin.”

“I love you too, princess.”

We sat on my bed and drank our coffee

We sat on my bed and drank our coffee while discussing the details. I knew what a fundraiser was, but I had to ask how come she hasn’t mentioned it before, although I kinda knew why.

“You know that I disappeared after the Audrey thing, Cam. I wasn’t going to show up, only to have people pity me and stare at me.”

“And what made you want to go this year?”

“You, us, everything, Cam.”

“So you just want to show people you’ve moved on.”  

“No, Cam. Listen, this thing felt like an open wound. It hurt me, and I kept bleeding on people I loved. But all wounds heal eventually, and now I’m starting to heal and leave the past behind me.”

I put my hand on top of hers.

“I don’t want Audrey to haunt me anymore. I shouldn’t have given her that much power in the first place. She almost ruined us, and you are the best thing that has ever happened to me. I don’t care about what she did to me, but you? That’s where I draw the line.”

I smiled and kissed her.

“Do you want to leave today?” I asked, and her eyes widened.

“Only if you want to.”

“I do, Dani.” I got up and looked through my closet. “I don’t have anything to wear.”

“Don’t worry about this love, I got you.”

“Your clothes are too tight for me.”

“Do you prefer a dress or a suit?”

“Uhhh… a dress. I want to match you.” She smiled.

We packed the rest of my stuff, and I let my dad know I’d be away. I helped Dani pack hers too, and we loaded them in the car.

I was so happy to be going away with her.

However, motion sickness always spoiled it a little bit. I hate that I get dizzy in cars.

This time I started feeling uneasy one hour into the drive.

“Dani. I’m not feeling great.”

“Do you want me to stop?”

“No, not yet. I’ll tell you.”