Chapter twenty-nine "Mum"

Dani’s POV

The first weeks of school passed by fast, I was really busy with work. Apparently, being a nice teacher is much more work because students actually want to talk to you. I was working on putting together a small library in my classroom so students can borrow books to read whenever they wanted. I also made sure to have extra pens, highlighters, pencils and loose sheets of paper in my drawers which I never did before.

In the past, every time a student forgot something I would tell them to figure it out in their own and warn them to not let it happen again. I’m still strict because I don’t want them walking all over me, but I’m working on being more understanding.

I decorated my classroom a bit this year, by adding a pride flag. I also made little cards that the students could get from the back of the classroom and write their full name, their preferred name and their pronouns and they could hand it to me afterwards. After seeing the harassment that Cam went through, I wanted to make sure that students have a safe space.

So far, I’ve had quite a few students use them, they all thanked me for it and it felt nice, knowing that I made a difference in these kid’s life. I was working on getting my hands on queer books for my class library, but I wanted to make sure they were appropriate. I had also ordered plain colored book covers from Amazon, in case some student couldn’t get the book back to their house safely.

This was Cam’s idea and so were the queer books. She had been helping me, but the last two weeks she was being distant. I knew why, but I couldn’t do much to help her, I could only be there for her. She made sure to reassure me that it wasn’t about me. It was really sweet of her.

It's Wednesday and I’ve taken the day off to go to Cam. I know she hasn’t been to uni all week, she hasn’t been answering my texts or calls either and I’ve been busy and tired from work so I haven’t had time to visit her. We haven’t spoken since Friday.

Cam’s POV

I heard the door open, I looked up and saw Dani walking in. She was supposed to be at work. She joined me on the bed and laid next to me, pulling me into a hug.

I didn’t want her to see me like that, but at the same time her presence brought me comfort. I should apologize for not answering to her. I haven’t been doing anything but sleep the past few days.

“I’m sorry for not…”

“It’s okay, you don’t need to apologize and we don’t need to talk either.”

I let out a faint thank you and closed my eyes. It hurt so much. I turned around and hid my face in Dani’s neck, clinging onto her as tears streamed down my face. She held me tightly as I hiccuped from crying.

I missed my mum.

I just wish I could have her back even for an hour. At least if I had died back then in that alley, I would have gone to her. These thoughts flooded my brain. Dani was caressing my head, still holding me tightly. I was soaking her shirt and my pillow as I was gripping her t-shirt.

“Cam” My dad said, entering the room. I didn’t turn to look at him. I didn’t want to let go of Dani. “Do you want to come visit mum with me?”

I haven’t been to her grave since she passed. I couldn’t bring myself to visit alone. It was too painful. I lifted my head to look at Dani, she smiled softly, planting a kiss on my forehead.

“Do you want to come?” I whispered and she gave me a small nod. “Dad, can Dani come?”

“Of course monkey.”