Chapter ten "Airplane mode"

We got our suitcases and went to check them in again, since the flights weren’t connected. That meant that we also had to go through security again, I felt bad for Cam.

As she passed from the metal detector, it beeped. She turned to look at me.

“Ma’am, do you have anything metal on you that would set it off?” The officer told her, and she shook her head no. “Please step aside. Are you comfortable with me doing a pat down?” She nodded.

The color had drained completely from her face. He did a quick pat down and swapped her clothes and items as well. Meanwhile I had al so gone through security and was waiting for her aside.

“You are good to go.” He smiled at her, and she quickly took her stuff. We walked to an ottoman nearby and she dropped herself on it.

“Baby, are you okay?” I asked sitting next to her. She shook her head no.

“I feel sick.” I caressed her cheek and put my hand on her chest. Her heart was racing.

“Love, calm down, people get pulled aside all the time.”

“And what if I get stripped searched.”

“That’s a really specific fear.”

“When I was 10, I was travelling with my parents, and I set off the metal detector and they did a swab and a pat down and after my parents’ approval they took me in a room and made me take all my clothes except from my underwear off. They searched my stuff, messed everything up and tore apart my favorite teddy bear. I was so scared, and it was cold, and they yelled at me.” 

“Aw sweetie.” She leaned on my shoulder, and I wrapped my arms around her. “I’m sorry you went through this; it must have been traumatic. No wonder security makes you nervous.”

We sat hugged for a while, until she had calmed down a little and we went to find our gate. We had an hour until boarding.

We took something to eat and charged our phones. This was going to be a long ass flight.

“What are we going to do for 7 hours?” I asked her.

“Cuddle, watch movies, sleep and talk.” She said smiling.

“Doesn’t sound too bad.”

We finally boarded on the plane. Neither of us felt like sleeping, we waited until the take off and we put in our headphones. Cam was watching a movie, while I was listening to music. I also took out my book to read.

The food on the plane was good, and filling.

Once we ate, we were both sleepy. We lifted the armrest that was between us and shared the blanket the airline was providing. We leaned against each other and held hands under the blankets.

We woke up from the landing announcement.

The plane landed smoothly and now we had a 3 hour wait.

We walked around the shops and then sat at the chairs in front of our gates.

“I’m bored.” She whined.

“Me too.”

“Let’s play a game.” I raised an eyebrow. “I packed uno.”

“Oh I… I don’t know how to play.”

“You don’t know how to play uno?” She asked shocked and I shook my head no. “How? Did you not play with your brother?”

“No, we only played monopoly but not too often, between piano and French lessons, I mostly read books and he played video games or drew things.

“Unbelievable” She shook her head amused. “Did you also go horseback riding and played tennis in your free time?” She asked giggling. I looked away. “Oh my god you did!” She exclaimed laughing and I smiled.