Protecting

Raven POV

It's been a few weeks since the attack and I'm doing okay. Unfortunately in this world you learn to move on from things pretty quickly. I've noticed Tara and Jax arguing again, a lot more then usual and I want to help but I feel like I should stay out of it. Abel's birthday is soon and I want to know what to get him so I'm hoping I can ask Jax and he will give me a short list.

"Hey Jax?"
"Not now Ray"
"Come on I just need to ask you something"
"I said not now"
"Jax....."
"I SAID NOT NOW!! ARE YOU DEAF OR JUST STUPID!!"
I stand in shock, he has never raised his voice at me like that before ever. When he notices the look on my face he tries to reach out for me but I step back and shake my head.
"Nevermind"
"Ray wait...."
I don't listen I climb into my car and I drive to jaxs house. I'll talk to Tara instead hopefully she won't decide to yell at me for no reason at all.

Jax POV

It's been an hour since Ray left and I feel so awful I shouldn't have yelled at her like that. I had just got of the phone with Tara, she was complaining about having Abel again. I didn't understand what had happened, it's like she doesn't want to be around him anymore.
"Jax!"
I turn and see Trig standing there, panic on his face.
"What?"
"It's Ray..."
We climb into our bikes and head to my home.

When we get there I see the door wide open, I walk in and see half sack, dead on the floor and Cameron Hayes, he was an Irish guy we had some dealings with not so long ago. I look over and see Abel sat next to Ray, she is lay on the floor cradling him to her. I look and see blood all around her and she looks so pale. I grab Abel
And check him over quickly before handing him to trig.
"Ray?"
She looks up and smiles "he's safe"
"Yeah he is. What happened?"
"Hayes. He tried to take Abel, he killed Half sack and shot me. But I got him Jax"

"Yeah you did. You protected Abel?"
She nods "always will"
"Where's Tara?"
"She ran. Left us behind"
I couldn't believe her, she left them here to die. I see Rays eyes closing and I cup her face.
"You have to stay awake okay"
"I can't...."
"Yes you can. Come on baby stay awake for me please"
I hear commotion behind me and see paramedics come running through, I move and they get to work on Raven.

We follow them to hospital and I'm asked to wait outside while they rush Ray to surgery. She has to be okay, I can't lose her. I hold Abel close to me while he sleeps. I can't believe she literally put her life on the line to say my child when the woman who is supposed to his mother ran away.
I see my Ma coming and she smiles sadly at me
"Any news?"
"Nothing yet. Can you take Abel? I'm going to stay here"
"Of course. Clay and trig will ride with me"
I nod and she kissed my cheek, I gently kiss Abel and hand him over to her, wishing him a goodnight and sweet dreams.

After what felt like an eternity I see the doctor finally coming to see us.
"Mr Teller"
"Yes"
"The surgery went well, but the next 24 hours are crucial. She has to fight to live"
"She will. She's a big fighter"
He nods "you may go and see her but 1 at a time"
"Thanks doc"
I walk in and see her hooked up to so many machines, sitting down by her bedside, I take her hand and kiss the back of it.
"You have to come back Raven. Abel needs you, the club needs you and I need you"