Chapter 14

(Amity Colosseum)

The next day, the Vytal Tournament proceeds to its single matches aka the final round. Cinder, Mercury, and Emerald are inside of the locker room as Mercury gears up before letting out a groan.

Mercury: "Ugh, Cinder, do I really have to go first? I kinda want to take a nap for a bit."

This makes Emerald angry as she goes to slap him in the back of his head.

Mercury: "Ow!"

This action gets a small smile from Cinder and once Emerald see this; she becomes utterly elated. Before Cinder leave the locker room, she turns her head to them.

Cinder: "You will proceed into the first match and do as you're instruct. Understand?"

Mercury: "Got it."

(A Few Moments Later)

Inside the announcer's box, the two announcers speak over the broadcasting system.

Oobleck: "Now, for the moment you've all been waiting for!"

Port: "The one-on-one finals!"

Upon saying this, the crowd goes wild, cheering and clapping their hands in excitement. In the center of the arena, Yang smirks confidently as she stands beside a line of fighters. People like Sun, Mercury, Penny, two other random huntsmen in training, and the troubled Pyrrha at the other end of the line.

Port: "Why don't you explain the rules."

Oobleck: "Ah, it's quite simple, Peter. Instead of a bracket system, each round of the finals will be randomly determined immediately before the match takes place!"

Port: "Much like any good hunt, there will be zero time to prepare!"

Oobleck: "Ah, yes, yes! Now, let's see who our first match will be!"

The energetic doctor points out to the screens above the stadium as the roulette starts spinning, this time for competitors instead of biomes. The "random selection" is watched by everyone inside and outside of the colosseum. Once the roulette stops spinning, Port speaks up.

Port: "Yang Xiao Long vs Mercury Black!"

Among the crowd, Y/N is spectating the match with the rest of Team RWBY, JNPR, and SSSN. Ruby goes to shout some encouragement to her sister, follow by Y/N doing the same.

Ruby: "Break a leg, sis!"

Y/N: "Good luck!"

Behind them, Cinder, still smiling, gets up from her seat and begins walking out, eyes on the battlefield, thinking over what the announcers said.

Cinder: "Heh. Random."

She then takes out her scroll, displaying the Queen virus on her screen and start tinkering with it before heading out to somewhere else. 

Port: "Would all other combatants please leave the stage!"

The rest of the lineup of fighters does so, and Yang starts walking up to Mercury in the middle of the arena as the floor around them opens once more, with a ring of spotlights rising up to automatically fix their lights on the remaining two.

Yang: "You better not go easy on me."

Mercury: "Heh. You wish."

Both brawlers face the crowds one last time, then slowly start advancing on each other, arms raised defensively until their hands can almost touch, as the final countdown commences.