Chapter 34

Bright white light is all that Ruby could see. She could barely hear some voices. Voices like her Uncle Qrow.

Qrow: "It's alright. I got ya, kiddo. I got ya."

Hearing radio static in the background as well as her father's sighing.

Tai: "Damn it. Nothing."

Qrow: "Just turn it off. Without the CCT, there's no point."

Tai: "Ugh, communication down across the entire kingdom, no way to contact the outside world... and Ozpin's still missing."

Qrow: "Yeah."

Tai: "This is bad, Qrow."

Qrow: "Yeah, it is."

She then overhears another familiar voice.

Y/N #1: "I'm Y/N L/N. It's nice to meet you, sir."

Tai: "You're Y/N. Qrow's lone student and one of my daughters' teammates."

Y/N: "That's right..."

Tai: "You're injured. Please, rest up in the guest room."

(The Island of Patch)

Inside of the Xiao Long/Rose Cabin, Ruby is asleep in an unfamiliar bed, wearing gray pajamas. Birds are tweeting and sunlight is streaming onto the wall behind the bed's headboard. After a few seconds, she slowly wakes up, rubbing her eyes and looks over to see her father asleep in a chair. She sits up and sighs quietly, causing Taiyang to stir awake, making him run over to kneel by her bed. 

Tai: "Ruby! You're awake!"

Ruby: "Ugh... w-what happened?"

Tai: "Your uncle Qrow found you, unconscious. He got you out of there, though, and brought you home safe. You've been... unconscious through the whole summer. I'm just so happy to see you awake."

Ruby is visibly scrawny and when she tries to move, she tremble in her motion, her muscles being weakened a considerable amount during her coma. Looking down in thought for a split second, then looks over to her father.

Ruby: "Wait! Yang! Is she alright!? And Y/N! What happened to him!?"

Tai: "Y/N is fine. He's sleeping in the guest room and Yang... she's uh... she's gonna be alright. I think she's just... I think it's just gonna take some time for her to get used to things. She's too strong to let this stop her." 

The man covers his eyes for a moment, sniffling, then looks up to Ruby, smiling.

Tai: "I'm just glad to have my girls back at home."

Ruby: "What happened to the school?! And Vale?! Were they able to clear out the Grimm?"

Tai: "Things at Vale are under control, but the school... It's... it's not that simple. That thing, whatever it is, doesn't seem to be dead. Don't get me wrong, you did a number on it. But it's not disappearing. It's... kind of... frozen. I know that doesn't sound too bad, but it keeps attracting more Grimm to the school."

His response makes Ruby confuse as she tilts her head a bit. 

Ruby: "I did... what?"

Tai: "Hmm...?"

Ruby: "You said I did a number on it. What do you mean?"

Tai: "I... Look that's not important right now. We can talk about it later. Things are just... kind of a mess."

Qrow: "It's always a mess."

Ruby and Tai look to see Qrow and a bandaged-up Y/N suddenly standing in the room, near the door. Qrow finishes off the contents of his flask before continuing.