Chapter 19

(Several Minutes Later)

Pyrrha sits alone outside the dining hall, head slump down. She sees the air blow a single orange leaf onto the cobblestones at her feet, and she looks at the fall colors with a face of total fright, remembering the sight of Amber in her comatose state and the choice weighing her down on her. 

Jaune: "Hey."

Snapping back to alertness, Pyrrha turn her head up to see her smiling friend with a large cone of cotton candy in hand, trying to give it to her.

Jaune: "I-It's no green goop, but I think it still might do some good."

Pyrrha stare at the offered treat in front of her while she hesitantly takes it. 

Pyrrha: "Um, right. Thank you, Jaune."

Jaune's smile fades as he sees her still-tormented face. At the far end of the building, Nora and Ren come around the corner, with Ren carrying a cotton candy, a tub of popcorn, and a drink to sip on. As for Nora, she spots both Jaune and Pyrrha by themselves. Nora does feel a little frustrated upon seeing Pyrrha only to realize that they're having a tender moment and want them to have it, despite her beef with Pyrrha. The orange-haired girl then gestures the distracted Ren.

Nora: "Uh... come on, Ren. Let's go back to the fairgrounds. I still want to take another shot at that giant bear plushie."

Nora drags Ren away from Jaune and Pyrrha, much to Ren's confusion. Meanwhile, Jaune looks back to Pyrrha and takes a seat next to her. 

Jaune: "You and Y/N were one of the first people to ever believe in me, you know that?

He manages to get her to look at him as he laughs sadly to himself.  

Jaune: "Even when I told my parents I was going to Beacon, they told me not to worry if I ended up having to move back home. How depressing is that?"

Pyrrha: "I'm sure they didn't mean-"

Her sorrow becomes surprise, eyes widening and dropping the pink fluffy snack as she realizes Jaune's hand is placed upon hers.

Jaune: "I guess... I'm just trying to say that... you've always been there for me... even when I didn't deserve it. And I can tell there's something on your mind, so... I don't know. How can I help?"

Her astonishment melts away into comfort as she leans her head against the wall behind her, smiling.

Pyrrha: "You're already doing it."

Jaune quickly matches Pyrrha's smile with his own, and the two stay there for a long moment, but as an additional autumn leaf joins the first leaf, Pyrrha's expression darkens once more.

Pyrrha: Jaune..."

Jaune: "Hmm?"

She suddenly takes her hand out from his, turning her gaze away from him.

Pyrrha: "I don't know what to do."

Jaune: "What do you mean?"

She slowly glances up as she wonders what to say before finally asking. 

Pyrrha: "Do you believe in destiny?"

This question makes Jaune taken aback by it.

Jaune: "Uhm... I-I don't know. I guess that depends on how you view it."

Pyrrha: "Well... when I think of destiny, I don't think of a predetermined fate you can't escape. But rather... some sort of final goal, something you work towards your entire life."