𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 14. apple, pt.2

[...]

☆14. apple, pt.2
▃▃▃
[ACT. 2]

NADESHIKO ( なでしこ. ) « A Japanese term meaning the "personification of an idealized Japanese woman", or "the epitome of pure". »

.

.

.

.

.

NANA GENTLY KNOCKED ON the door. In a hurry, she didn't wait any longer. She set her bag down at the entrance and went into the office.

Mr. Lee took his eyes off the screen and looked questioningly at the student. She had slumped into a chair and held out the paper Rachel had given her.

     "Can you explain this? Why wasn't my name accepted?"

     "First of all, hello. How have you been?" He said, mockingly.

     "I'll be much better if you explain this to me."

The man took his glasses and examined the contents of the paper before placing it back on his desk. He shrugged his shoulders, and didn't seem to understand her opressive attitude.

     "Well, it seems that your president gave the wrong name to sign you up for the club. Your name isn't really Nana, is it?"

The girl glanced at the clock on the wall and tapped her foot nervously. In addition to wasting time, she had to justify herself on a subject she hated talking about.

     "My mother filed a report a few months ago to change my name. Why hasn't it been implemented?"

     "Maybe because it's not official."
He'd said in a calm voice while she seemed stressed, "I need your real name."

He picked up a pen, ready to change the mistake. The teen sighed and rolled her eyes before leaning towards Mr. Lee.

It was a sensitive subject and talking openly about it made her uncomfortable.

     "Nadeshiko."

     "It's a pretty name."
He'd said as he crossed out the fake name on the paper. "There you go! Problem solved."

     "Thanks."
She had ignored his compliment and risen from the chair.

Just as Nana was about to reach for the door handle, Mr. Lee intercepted her and stood in front of her looking shy, which was surprising coming from a man as charismatic as he was, because he seemed very embarrassed.

     "I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable... Before you leave I'd like to talk to you about something."
She had started to open the door but immediately closed it again.