3 am-danny

I heard the knock on my door and tightened the towel around my chest, checking the peephole. Danny was standing there with a duffel bag across him, sweat pants and baggy t-shirt on, and dark blue under his eyes.

What is he doing here at three in the morning?

Without thinking about my half nakedness I opened the door to see sad, life- size-not-peephole-Danny.

"What happened?" I asked suspiciously.

"Im in love with you."

"One moment please." I gently closed the door so it wasn't like I slammed it on him. He loves me? The man about to get married, in love with his best friend! What? I took off my towel and out a pair of sweatpants and baggy Bon Jovi t shirt of my own on, and went to go lean against my door, exhausted from the day I just had which even at three in the morning, isn't over.

"Care to elaborate?" I asked.

"I think it's better if we talking face to face."
I hummed in response and twisted the knob and saw him again. Mopey and apparently in love?

"Hi." I said.

"Hi. I'm sorry it's so late."

"Don't worry about it come in. I have some really scary neighbors and it's probably not best to have you and your stuff out there" I laughed.

"Yeah ok." He walked in and sat on the couch he has been sitting on for a year and started tapping his foot and looking very overwhelmed.

"Why not we start from the beginning..."

"Yeah ok let's do that" he began. "So I was laying down with McKenzie right," it's just gonna be her for now.

"Yeah just lying down, ok." He laughed but shook his head to regain his serious face.

"Anyway we were lying down and she said 'your so much closer to y/n than me' and I was like, 'what's that supposed to mean' And she rants about how much more I'm with you than her-" He takes a big gasp for air and continues. "She ended up walking away and when I went to follow her and just tell her I don't want to fight blah blah and she is like throwing stuff and yelling and then she tells me to go to hell and that's when I lost it, I said 'what if I do love her more than you? Would that be so unrealistic?' And I had a point because she was acting like a psychopath! But then she told me to get out of her house. So yeah..."

Well that was a lot. If I was in this situation I would almost definitely run to my best friend but immediately ask for a hug. Go ahead and laugh but I have a point too. Without saying anything I walked over to him and wrapped my arms around his shoulders. He was still for a minute but then he melted into me. It was a really awkward position. After a while I let go and kneeled down in front of him.

"Danny, I'm so sorry this all had to happen in one night and you a McKenzie left things on such," what am I supposed to say? Thin ice?

"Bad terms?" He offers.

"Yeah and I'm right here for you but, I still have one question."

"Go ahead."

"Why did you come here? Why not Josh or Sam or Jake or literally anybody else? And why did you say you love me?" He blinked at me and got down on the floor to look in my eyes.

"Technically that's three questions." He smirks. I punch him in the arm and say, " I'm serious Danny you're really freaking me out with that whole thing!"

"Ok, ok. After that whole fight I realized maybe I did like you more than McKenzie. But I am just having such a hard time thinking it through because what about us and all the other stupid things there are to worry about. Everything right now is a big mumbo jumbo of thoughts." That's when his voice cracked and he pressed the palms of his hands into his eyes, probably trying to calm himself down.

"Danny..I-" I pulled him into another hug and felt him trembling, but just brought him closer, and held him tighter.

"I really want to kiss you right now." He said and sniffled in my shoulder.

"Yeah I don't think that's a really good idea."

"Why not?" he whined.

"Because in technicality you're still her fiancé and you just walked in here, not exactly professing your love, more like stating it, and I'm just really confused and I feel so bad for you and it's been a really long day." All of this was true especially the having a long day part.

"I know we are all over the place right now but I actually have been thinking about it for a while." His phone rang and he pulled it out of his pocket, his curly hair falling in front of his eyes where it's grown out. "It's McKenzie." My eyes widened but I left the room so he could have a minute and went to the kitchen. I started fiddling with some glasses in the cabinet but secretly listening.

"Hello?" He said.

A bunch of high pitched gibberish came from the other side of the phone and peaked behind the wall and saw Danny trying to keep his cool.

"Yes McKenzie I decided to go to her because I know she at least had common decency to hear me out." More gibberish followed and McKenzie sounds pissed-

"Yeah fine let's do that!" Danny huffed and I headed back to the living room where he was back on the couch messaging his temples.

"You good?" I asked.

"Well McKenzie called to say we are finished. and I have to pick up my tommorow, if she doesn't light it on fire."

"Damn that girl is fast"

"Yeah but it's a good thing right?" He raised a bushy eyebrow and smirked taking a few slow steps towards me.

"Why?" I am generically confused and creeped out.

"Now I can kiss you." He completed the short walk over and placed both his hands on either side of my waist. I mean can I say no, now? To be honest, I have liked Danny for a while now. And in Jita's defense he has been with me almost everyday, because he knew I was really lonely starting a new job and school and not having any relationships. But that really only made me like him more! At this point in time I should not have to be afraid of having a relationship because I have known him for so long. My walls are only pictures of us. When he took me on a leg of the tour because McKenzie was too busy. When I got promoted and he took me to an Italian restaurant on the beach. Or playing volleyball on that beach because he didn't believe I could play. In all these moments I have wanted to kiss him. So why not now?

I put my arms around his neck and leaned in to his lips. He tasted like mint toothpaste, given the fact he was just about to go to bed. He nudged me a step forward, wanting me to back up, and I did step after step, my lips parted slightly and allowed my tongue to move around, softly passing over his lips. The wall slammed into my back and we inched closer to each other. Gasping for air every time our lips separated.

But then the door knocked for a second time.