guitar shopping-jake

🥲

"Jake, if we did that you would have no more money to waste on me." I laughed and tossed my hair to the side dramatically.

"Oh of course how ever could I forget." He rolled his eyes and kissed my cheek.

While we walked down the quiet street I noticed the large, bright sign against the darkening sky. I pointed at the display window, "you wanna go check it out?"

"Sure, why not." He responded after noticing.

When we walked into the guitar center, the faint noise of someone trying out a bass sounded from the far end. But on the other side a toddler was playing a keyboard and yelling for his brother, playing the drum pad.

Jake and I shared a look and I gave him a knowing smile. As we walked to the back of the store where the guitars were, I took in the rest of it. The small vinyl shelf in the middle with a rack of guitar straps behind it. Sheet music books were also displayed and a couple was searching the inside of a "Sour" one.

"Baby look!" Jake called me excitedly. I jogged up to him where he was seated next to an amp, plugging in.

"What's that?" I asked, surprised by the bright yellow.

"It's a bright yellow fender." He laughed. I loved that sound.

"Does it play good?" I leaned again the wall of the closed space and examined him while he set up to play.

"Let's find out." He raised his eyebrows and smiled.

Jake played the beginning of a lick I immediately recognized.

"Well it sounds pretty damn good for looking like a taxi!" He exclaimed and clapped his hands together. We laughed.

He went to put it back on the shelf and we continued browsing the selection of the guitars hand in hand. Jake brought my hand up to his lips and let them linger there while his brows were drawn in thought, staring at a guitar.

"What are you thinking?" I whispered.

"There are a lot of weird colors in this pick." He chuckled and brought his hand around my waist. "You should play something."

My heart quickened, I've been trying to learn, Jake's been teaching me. But I don't think I'm ready for the public humiliation of doing it here.

"I'm alright babe, but should try out another one."

"Nooooo come on! Your great just play one riff." He begged.

"Fine, just one. " I sighed. He picked up a beautiful blue Epiphone and placed it in my hands I sat down.

With a racing heart, I quickly played the riff to Sunshine of your Love, as it was the first song I learned on electric, and smiled up at him when he gave me applause. "You are amazing."

Jake leaned down and kissed me on the lips slow and gently. When he pulled away I tapped his nose and kissed that as well.

"I just wanna look at one more." He said in a hushed tone only I could hear.

I nodded and put my guitar back up, then watched him with thoughtful eyes.

"Oh. my. god." Jake said.

"What? What happened?"

"It's a fender swinger! No way!! Why do they have it here?! Why.." Jake on and about guitar nerdy things and gave it a quick play, still freaking out over his find.

I loved when he got like this, passionate and excited over something. The way his eyes lit up and he talked so fast to tell me every detail.

"Can I get it?" Jake asked me like a child.

Of course he could get it, I'm not his mom and it's his money anyway. But, I pretended to think about it. "Well..." I started sarcastically.

His face dropped in disappointment.

"Babe , I was joking. Of course you can buy it! Go go." I responded quickly, shoo-ing him off.

"Thank you, I love you!" He rushed and kissed me again.

I shook my head and watched Jake run up to the cashier counter and hand over the guitar.

But explain to me why soft jaket would be the cutest thing I have ever seen.