C h a p t e r 4

The ride to Lauren's apartment was silent. She watched outside the window the whole way. Sometimes you'd hear her singing very quietly but didn't bother asking.

When you stopped the black vehicle she stayed still. Not knowing what else to do, you got out and walked to the other side where the passenger door was. You scanned her face in the window before opening the door; she was depressed and hurt. It was obvious but she tried to hide it.

When you pulled the door open she just moved her head and looked at you. Her eyes were glossy and her makeup was messy. She sighed.

"I'm sorry." You told her honestly.

"I know." She said quietly, "It's not your fault. I just- I took that in kind of... Fast. And I mean it's big news." She told you as she got out of the car, "It's huge news. It escalated quickly and yeah."

You closed the door and followed behind her as she entered her apartment building.

When you and her found your way at her apartment door you stopped.
She turned around and faced you; her eyes were still kind of red and she still had a sad expression on her face.

"Thanks." She simply said and flashed a smile from her lips, "I really appreciate you telling me everything. And again I'm sorry.. For lashing out on you earlier."

"Lauren, it's fine. I promise. Please don't be sorry. It was perfectly okay to have that reaction." You told her. She smiled at your response.

Before you knew it, her hands were on your neck and she leant forward.
At first, you weren't kissing back but everything went blank and you began kissing back.

She came to realization of what was happening and pulled away. Her hand slowly fell onto your chest and she blushed.

"I'm- I'm sorry." She said and let out a small fake elated laugh. "Thag was- that was on me. Uhm anyway, I'll see you round." She said trying to change the subject.

"Oh yeah. See you.. Around." You told her.

She gave you a quick smile before walking into her apartment. Before she closed the door she gave you a quick wave.

Once the door closed, you smiled and looked down. Still processing what just happened. You had a small adrenaline rush and you liked the feel of her lips on yours.

You lost track of time- immediately checking on your watch. It was 12:54; lunch was almost done and you needed to be at the warehouse, not wanting to be late for the job.