C h a p t e r 1 8

A few weeks have passed since the elevator situation and promises. You got a job at a local café a few blocks down the street as Lauren stayed home. If she got a job, the police and her family could track her down and could also lead you to be a suspect to the mission.

"See you later, babe." You said after pecking Lauren's lips and walking out of your apartment. Today was your first day on the job and you didn't want to be late so you're walking fifteen minutes before your hours start.

Your walk down the two blocks weren't long and you discovered a small diner that you and Lauren can go to sometime.

"Y/N, right?" The short blonde asked when she noticed you approaching her.

"Yeah." You confirmed; nodding your head slightly and shaking her hand gently.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Ally. I usually bake all the goods we have here." She told you. She held her index finger up. "Oh, one sec."

The rather small girl disappeared into a back room. She came back minutes later with a caramel skinned girl.

"This is Ariana. She'll be helping you with just- like settling in and knowing how we roll here." She explained. Ariana gave you a warm smile and walked next to you, grabbing your bicep and pulling you without a word.

"Why don't we get to know each other." She said as she sat you down on a comfy leather chair. She sat across the small coffee table from you.

"Alright." You agreed. She smiled and nodded her head once, showing that she wanted you to tell yourself about her.

"Well. I'm from Canada- originally but I moved to Miami Florida when I was about five or six because my dad got a job transfer. My whole life I've lived in Miami so I kind of had a crazy life as a child due to growing up around some bad kids. My parents, unfortunately died in a car accident so I had to get adopted. My neighbours took me because they were like family to me, I mean the kid next door, Tommy, was like a brother to me so his grandma took me in and I've lived with them until I was twenty. I finished high school and got a job in a warehouse.... Just.. Uh like cleaning and organizing stuff- I was like an assistant. After a few years of that I moved here.. I guess I just needed some time from Miami." It wasn't all true but you couldn't tell her the truth about your job and family right?

"Wow.. I'm really sorry about your parents." She said. Her voice softened but she cleared her throat. "So you didn't have any family? Why didn't anyone other than your neighbours take you?"

"Most of my family live here- in Canada so it would be more difficult to move here." You told the girl. She nodded her head slowly in response.

"Okay.. Well theres not much to know about me and the café is about to open up but maybe we can talk about this another time? Ny names Ariana.. Grande. Ariana Grande. You could just call me Ari if you'd like..I'm twenty two soon and I really enjoy working here." She told you before smiling and standing up. You stood up and followed her to the counter.

"Okay. For today, you'll be tryna adjust to everything mostly so go ahead and just grab a note pad." She said pointing to a small stack of note pads. Quickly grabbing one, you returned to the smaller girl.

"Usually the customers come to the counter but if they stay sitting you can go and ask them what they want. Either way, you write it on the note pad and basically just give them what they want. Make sure you get the money though, we've had plenty of mistakes by not getting the money." She said. Finishing her last sentence with a soft giggle.

"Alright." You said and sat on the stool in front of the counter. Ariana disappeared in the back room so you studied the small café.

It was 11:34 so its only been about half an hour since you started. This Wasn't so bad. I mean you get 11.50 an hour, which is five hours a day so 57.50$ a day and your pay check is every two weeks. It would keep food on the table and a roof over your head which was perfect. Also, you get to hang out with some cool people.

A small bell rang, causing you to look at the door. A tall man came in and sat in the chair you were in when you and Ariana were talking.

Ari walked out of the back room and smiled when she saw the guy.

"Lukey!" She yelled. It seemed to echo in the room but still sounded soft.

She walked to him and gave him a hug. I guess they knew each other?

"Hey, Ari! It's nice to see you again. I've been outta town for a few weeks- so I couldn't drop by." He said when they pulled away from the hug. He had a austrailian accent and he looked very cozy. He was wearing skinny jeans and a hoodie. His hair was a bit messy and his voice was raspy.

"New worker?" He asked her and she nodded quickly. She looked at you before looking back at him.

"Oh- right. I'm uh Y/N. I just started today." You told him. He smiled and held his hand out for you to shake. Slowly shaking his hand you gave him a smile.

"It's nice to meet you, Y/N. I'm Luke.. Luke Hemmings. I used to work here so I'm quite familiar with everything here." He said. He sat in his previous spot and grabbed the news paper that has been on the small coffee table.

"I'll have a bagel and a cup of Chai tea please." He ordered as he read through the paper.

"Comin right up." You told him before walking behind the counter and through the door frame that belonged to the back room.

"Ally, do we have any bagels?" You asked as you searched the small baskets filled with baked goods.

"Oh, yes. Right here." She said, handing you another small basket which was warm and filled with home made bagels.

You grabbed the bagels and brought them next to the stove where you turned on the boiling water for tea.

You poured the tea into a big cup and grabbed the bagel. After giving Louis his order, you grabbed the sugar and creme and gave it to him as well for his tea.

"Thanks, mate." He said in his thick accent before sipping his tea. You smiled before giving him his bill and walking back to where Ally was.

The hours for today went by quickly. A lot of people attended the café. Most of them were teenagers and people that you assumed were in their early twenties. They all stayed for roughly an hour before leaving the café.

You got off work an hour early though because Ally assumed not very much people would come the and that Ariana would be able to handle it so you said your goodbyes and soon began walking home.

As you walked home, you pulled out your phone to find some new text messages.

3 Message(s):

Unknown: Hey it's Niall. Are you in Van city? T-gun and I are here.

Unknown: Please answer?

Unknown: Call me when you get this , x

You smiled and got excited. Quickly opening the information about the now new contact you clicked Call.

"Hello?" The Irish man answered o the other line.

"Niall! Hey- it's Y/N!" You said excitingly. You heard him giggle causing you to smile.

"Long time no... Heard? We have to meet up!" He said. You could tell he was excited too.

"Yeah okay. How bout we go out tonight for some food tonight?" You asked. He agreed quickly.

"Alright. Is it okay if I bring someone?" You ask before he said bye.

"Yeah no problem." He said, "alright, goodbye."

"Bye."