C h a p t e r 7

You woke up at eight o'clock. Waking up and eight was like sleeping in. You always had to get up early for work but today, everyone was able to go late. The max was eleven.

You put a pair of sweats on and walked out in the living room to find Gun still sleeping.

You quietly walked to the kitchen and began making coffee.

As you were waiting for the coffee you decided to make breakfast too.

Once you started cooking eggs, your phone began ringing.

1 Message.

Lauren : Hey.. How'd the job go?

You tried to swallow the lump in your throat but you couldn't.

How were you gonna tell her?

After finishing cooking breakfast, you woke Tommy up.

He poured himself a cup of coffee and a plate of eggs and bacon.

"Did you sleep well?" He asked before taking a sip of his coffee.

"How am I gonna tell her, man?" You asked him with concern on your face.

"Lauren?" He asked.

"Yeah. I mean- I don't know how I can." You confessed.

"You'll be alright, bro." He tried to cheer you up.

You didn't say anything but drank your coffee.

After drinking your coffee, you showered. Wearing black jeans and a Chicago Bulls jersey.

You : Hey Laur. Meet me up?

Lauren : Yeah sure. Oh how'd the job go??

You sighed at her text and ignored it. You grabbed your varsity jacket and left.

-

"Oh hey? I didn't think you would show up here." Lauren said when she opened her apartment door.

"Yeah.. Sorry bout that. Can I come in?" You asked.

"Sure." She said before stepping back to let you walk in.

You walked in and slipped your Supras off your feet. She walked into the living room- you followed behind her.

As you made your way to the living room, you unzipped your varsity jacket and took it off, setting it on a chair between the two sofas.

She sat on the sofa and turned the TV off. You sat across from her, on the other sofa.

"So are you gonna tell me how you did on the job? Because Chris has been ignoring me all day and you're the only one I can really get the truth from." She said.

Because Chris has been ignoring me all day.

You tried to avoid that statement and proceed to tell her.

"Chris. He was the driver for the job. He was our getaway driver." You explained. You got up and shuffled across the room and sat next to her. "You see- uhm. Chris.. He hasn't been ignorin you. He's just-" you paused.

"Go on." She encouraged. She was concerned and scared of what you'll say- hoping it wouldn't be the unexpected.

"Chris was shot twice in the shoulder while drivin." You told her.

She had tears in her eyes and her hand covered her mouth.

"What?" She asked calmly and slowly.

"A police truck drove next to us and.. They shot Chris. They- they killed him." You said, holding back tears.

She didn't say anything. Her eyebrows furrowed up and tears fell from her eyes and streamed down her cheeks.

You wiped the tears away with the pad of your thumb before pulling her into your embrace.

She cried on your shoulder for about thirty minutes before she looked at you again.

Her eyes were red and she had a frown on her face.

She rested her head on your shoulder again.

You slowly fell back, lying on the sofa. She lied next to you, her face was in the crook of your neck. Her breathing felt steady on your neck, making you aware that she was asleep. You wiped a tear that formed in your eye and slowly fell asleep.