I'm Sorry Baby - Happy

Description: A woman shows up on the lot looking for Kozik, but he died a few months before.

I stepped out of my car and looked around the lot. I didn't recognize any of the bikes on the lot, but I knew I was in the right spot.

"Can I help ya ma'am?" A tall guy said. He was wearing a beanie despite the heat and a Teller Morrow work shirt.

"I'm looking for Happy Lowman or Herman Kozik," I said.

"Hey Hap," he yelled over his shoulder.

"Thank you," I said softly. I ran my hands through my hair and looked around the lot some more. There was what was clearly a clubhouse across the lot from me.

"What can I do for you?" Happy asked as he wiped his hands.

"Hap?" I asked, pushing my sunglasses up so he could see the rest of my face.

"Holy shit," he said. "What are you doing here?"

"Well looking for you or Kozik," I said. "I haven't heard from him since well before his transfer and I just, there's something I need to tell him."

"He died," Happy said. "A few months ago. He was killed on some club business. I'm sorry baby. I thought Lee or someone would've told you."

My eyes instantly started watering and I collapsed into the drivers door of my car.

"I- I haven't been to the clubhouse," I said.

Happy walked over and wrapped his arms around me. "I'm sorry baby."

"It's, it's okay," I said.

He held me while I collected myself.

"What is it you wanted to tell Kozik?"

I laughed a little. "I have a daughter," I said. "Kozik's girl."

"What? Since when?"

I smiled and grabbed my phone. "She's three months old. She's with my parents right now. Didn't wanna make this trip with her."

He nodded as I scrolled through my pictures. I showed him a few and he laughed at the funny ones.

"She's perfect," he said.

"Thanks," I said.

"What's her name?"

"Eleanor Rose," I said. "Almost gave her Koz's last name but without him present it didn't feel right."

"He would've loved her."

I nodded a little. "I know."

"Did he have any idea?"

I shook my head. "None."

"I'll help ya," he said. I stared up at him.

"Hap I can't ask-."

"I offered. Kozik and I were talking one night and he asked me to look after you. He died the next day. If I'd known how to get ahold of you I would've."

"It's okay," I said.

"What's your plan?" He asked.

"I work for Mom right now. Helping her out in the store and stuff. Callie keeps Ellie during the days when Mom and I are at work."

"How're your mom and sister doing these days?"

"They're doing well," I said. "They love Ellie as much as me."

"Good," he said. "I'll ride back up with you and meet her if you want."

"I'd love that Happy."

He laughed a little and nodded.

"Wanna go grab dinner and catch up?" He asked.

"I'd love to Hap," I said.

He told me where I could park my car for a few hours before disappearing into the garage to clock out.

I was devastated to find out about Kozik. We'd had a long history together and to know he'd passed away without meeting Ellie was heartbreaking.

Happy and I had a long history too, and I was so happy he was willing to meet Ellie.