No Caller ID - Kozik

Based on the Song No Caller ID by Megan Moroney.

Description: You're Kozik's ex and you think you're finally moving on when he drunk calls you at three am.

I glanced at the clock. 2:56 am. I still had four hours of this overnight shift.

"Hey baby," my work mom, Vicki, said.

"Hi Mom," I said.

"How're you doing?"

"Well, I wish that these overnight shifts weren't so-."

She glared at me and I stopped myself. I knew the rule: if one of the nurses said it was quiet or boring they had to handle the crazy calls that came with jinxing the ER.

She laughed a little.

"I know baby. These overnight shifts drag."

I nodded in agreement and grabbed my energy drink. The therapist mandated break from caffeine the last two months or so has been super beneficial in that one Red Bull lasts me all night now. The caffeine was making my anxiety worse so the therapist I've been seeing made me stop drinking as much as I was.

My phone started ringing. I glanced at it. Sure enough, it read "No Caller ID."

"Is that him?" She asked. I nodded. "Are you going to answer?"

"No."

She smiled a little in support.

It went to voicemail and started ringing again immediately.

I sighed and picked it up.

"What do you want Kozik?" The bitter tone in my voice was obvious. I stood up and walked around the corner.

"Baby I'm sorry," he said. "How've you been?"

His words were a little slurred. He was definitely drunk but as far as I could tell he hadn't had anything other than alcohol.

"What do you want Kozik?"

"Who's the new guy?" He asked.

When things ended with Kozik, I stayed friends with Juice and Tig. Juice is as chronically online as any other twenty something. I was sure he'd see my soft launch post from before work. I didn't think he'd run and tell Kozik though.

"It's not really any of your concern," I said. "Kozik you have to stop calling me when you're drunk."

"I love you baby. I'm not giving up on us."

"There is no us anymore. I'm done Kozik," I said.

The line went dead and I returned to the nurses station.

New Text Message
To: Juicey Juice
U still up?

"Honey why do you torture yourself?"

I glanced up at Vicki.

"I know him better than anyone else."

"And you're scared he'll-." I nodded. It didn't need mentioned. My history and Kozik's for that matter, were water cooler gossip around here. The whole town knew about us, and in this case, about Kozik's former drug dependency.

I sighed and wiped my eyes. My phone vibrating the table made me jump and I saw Juice's name.

"Yes?" I asked answering the call.

"He's okay Princess." It was Tig's voice.

"Thank you Tiggy," I said. "He-."

"Called again," he sighed. They'd started to mend their relationship after Kozik and I got together. It could still be tense but nothing like it was when Kozik patched here.

"Yeah," I said. "I soft launched my new man today and I guess Juice told him."

"Yea, I smacked him upside the head earlier. He's out now. I saw his phone go off on the bar and figured I'd call you."

"Thanks."

"You at work?"

"Yeah."

"Come by when you're off."

"No thanks Tiggy."

"Kozik really misses you."

"I miss him too, but-. I've put too much into getting over him."

"Take care of yourself princess."

"I will Tigger. Maybe you and Juice can come meet my new man sometime."

"Who is he princess?"

"You'll find out."

He chuckled and hung up on me.

"Who is the new mystery man?"

I smiled at Vicki. "It's called a soft launch for a reason."

She laughed and returned the smile.

The rest of our shift was uneventful. When 7:00 am rolled around, I was so ready for sleep.

As I was driving home, I had to pass right by Teller Morrow. I slowed down. I missed those nights. I missed the partying. I really missed sleeping in the dorms with Kozik. Hell, I even missed the patching up fight incurred damage.

Juice was sitting on the picnic table. He didn't sleep much. I stopped on the side of the road and parked my car. I got out and walked up the lot. My scrubs didn't do much to combat the chill in the morning air but that wouldn't last long.

Juice looked up at me and smiled.

"He's still asleep."

I scoffed and sat down next to him on the table.

"Is he doing okay?"

"Yeah. He will be. Might help if he got laid."

I laughed a little as Juice handed me his cigarette. I have tried to quit but I haven't been able to.

"Probably would help if I quit faking new relationships too."

He chuckled a little.

"Yea that would help too."

"I can't stay long but I missed your smile."

"Your pretty face is missed around here."

I leaned against his shoulder and closed my eyes.

"Uhh I've gotta get going," I said. "I'm gonna fall asleep."

"Get home safe. I'll keep an eye on him for you."

"Thank you Juice."

I headed back to my car and made my way the few blocks home.