Part 4.7: Adventures in drinking

*****CONTENT WARNING*****

DEPICTS TEENAGE ALCOHOL ABUSE

Sunday morning came so we left the camp and headed home. I got the lecture about not repeating what I had seen in Georgefield back at home, but it was unneeded – I was one of them now. I was a little sad about the school week coming, knowing that Dad would be sober and we'd be fighting about school again, but I tried not to let this bother me. I had gotten used to it by now. 

We pulled into the driveway at home, my deer tied to the hood, and went right to work hanging it up in the shed. Afterwards we went into the house. As soon as we got inside Mom pounced on me.

"Did you hear what your friends got up to this week?" she asked. She was clearly upset.

"I don't know, how could I? I was in Georgefield! Why, what happened?"

"Come into the living room and sit down. We need to talk."

Uh oh. I went into the living room and took a seat. Mom and Dad followed me. Dad looked just as confused as I did.

"So what's going on?" I asked.

"Well, it seems Trevor and Dale stole a bottle of vodka from Trevor's parents' liquor cabinet and drank it."

I almost smiled. After what she said next I was glad I didn't.

"They were found unconscious. Dale was in the high school field, Trevor was at the lake. They've been in the hospital ever since."

"What?!?" I exclaimed.

Dad said "Jesus, how much did they drink?"

"A lot", Mom said. "They're saying it was a 40-ouncer of Baranoff 160 proof."

"Holy shit!" Dad said.

"What is that?" I asked.

"Baranoff 160 proof is a special high test vodka you can only buy at duty free shops. It's twice as strong as normal vodka. Normal vodka is 40% alcohol, Baranoff is 80%. It's like they each drank a full 40-ouncer. They're lucky they didn't die."

"They almost did", Mom said. "When they found Trevor he was totally unresponsive. They had to pump both of their stomachs, and Trevor was on life support for a few days. I think he's doing a little better but haven't heard much."

I was in shock. I knew Trevor and Dale liked to drink but I couldn't have imagined they'd drink that much. Trevor was only fourteen years old! I needed more information but Mom didn't have any. I decided to call Rodney.

"Hello!" He said when he picked up the phone.

"Rodney, what the fuck happened to Trevor and Dale?"

Rodney started talking, and where he was excited he was in full Newfoundland mode. I could barely understand him. "Oi! Carmen! You're back! So you've 'eard about Trevor an' Dale! Yea, b'y, she's not good. They went full liquor pig and drank the 'ole bottle o' that 'igh test shit, right? Almos' died, too. A teacher fount Dale at th' 'igh school and somebody walking their dog fount Trevor at th' lake. Took 'em both to 'ospital jus' in time."