Part 7.13: A Night At Reflections

Troy and I went out to get something to eat

Troy and I went out to get something to eat. My truck was still broken so we took his car, but he insisted that I drive because I knew my way around the city. We went to the Harvey's and got some burgers, then went on a short sight seeing drive through Dartmouth. I decided I owed him this much, since all he had seen of Dartmouth before was the seedy parts. We went for a little walk along the waterfront, then returned to my apartment, where I immediately logged in to IRC again.

Within seconds I started getting messages of congratulations. How could everyone have known already? Gerry was online too, and messaged me:

Ger-Bear: Congratulations, Carmen. I'm really happy for you.

Asterixx: Thanks. But how does everyone know?

Ger-Bear: Look at the channel topic.

Asterixx: /topic #gay_halifax

Server Message: #gay_halifax topic "Sorry, girls, Asterixx is now off the market"

Server Message: #gay_halifax topic was set by ^James at 12:45 PM Saturday July 10 1999

Asterixx: Oh, for God's sake. I'll kill him.

Asterixx: /topic #hay_halifax [^James is a twat]

Server notice: Asterixx has changed the channel topic to ^James is a Twat

Asterixx: There, that fixes that. And thanks, Gerry. I'm really happy. Troy is actually here right now.

Ger-Bear: Hi Troy!

Asterixx: He says Hi

Just then I got a private message notification from James.

^James: Hey! What's with that channel topic? You wound me!"

Asterixx: /slap ^James

Server Message: Asterixx slaps ^James around a bit with a large trout

^James: Ok, I guess I deserved that. So, what are you doing tonight?

Asterixx: Haven't decided. Troy is here

^James: Really? He must have it bad for you.

Asterixx: Like, right here. He just read what you typed.

^James: Hi Troy. So you must really have it bad for Carmen

Asterixx: *readies another trout

^James: LOL, enough with the trout! Anyway, why don't you come out with me and Derrick?

I looked at Troy. "I'd love to go out", he said. "It's been a while since I've been to the bar on a Saturday night."