September 19th, 2022

sprint. (as in writing, not actually)

    I should have known it was a bad idea, but that didn't stop me. I was already two months in on this plan, and I can't turn back now. The drive was boring and excruciatingly long, the barren road only seemingly grew longer as the hours ticked on by. The heat from outside became visible, distorting the ground with ripples as the temperature increased. The drive had been roughly around six hours and I was growing more and more tired of it.

    I considered leaving the plan a long way in, but I couldn't quit now. I was already six hours in on the drive and it was close to being finished. It would be horrible to go back home and forget this whole thing. I want to get better, don't I?

    After what felt like forever, I finally reached it. It was the moment I had been waiting for, like a little glass of water in the middle of the sahara desert. I had finally saw the sign. The sign that read "The Mongoli Observatory"

    The Mongoli was known for being one of the oldest observatories in the country, and it is also widely praised for its position. If viewed at the perfect time of day, you could see the moon tower over you like a cat looking through a peephole to see a mouse. It's a natural beauty.

    It was built some time in the 1500's and astronomers traveled from all over the world to get a chance to observe the Mongoli. As much as it was an icon back in the day, it doesn't hold up that much now. The cracks in the building have been filled with vines coming out of all over the place, almost looking like how ants come speeding up to a dropped piece of food.

    Visiting the Mongoli had always been one of the biggest dreams of mine. I'd ask to go to it any chance we got, but my parents called me insane. They said it was a stupid idea to spen the whole summer looking at an observatory of all things. Even though I tried to ignore their arguments, I eventually caved. They were right. It is weird to want to spend all my summer looking at some observatory built in the 1500's.

    That's exactly why I went to the Mongoli. I only went to see it because my obsession with the observatory and astronomy in general has taken over me. I want to get rid of it. My psychiatrist told me I should, and authority figures are always right. Which is why I'm going to destroy the moon.

    I got out of my truck and halled my machine out of the back. It wasn't pretty, but if I had done everything right, it should work. Hauling it in was quite a bit of work, as parts of it kept falling off. But as long as it doesn't completely obliterate, I should be fine.

    After years and years of begging to go, I'm finally at the front entrance of the Mongoli. It was mesmerizing. My hand touched the door, and I shed a tear. I never thought I would ever be able to go here, although I don't quite like the circumstances in which I came here.

    The door creaked open and a giant wave of dust hit me immediately, causing me to cough. It was completely abandoned, no equipment or anything. It was like everyone knew from a decade ago that I was going to come here with my moon shooting machine and made a run for it. But I didn't care. Frankly I kinda liked the quietness of it. It makes me feel like I'm actually going to get away with something that is horribly illegal.

    I stationed my machine down at the center with a huge clang. It echoed through the entire observatory, making me flinch down like police were gonna bust the door down asking who made that noise. Fortunately, this place is out in the absolute middle of nowhere, so I don't have to worry about anybody walking in at all.

    I had to wait till night to turn it on, so I ended up exploring the place. Mongoli used to be a pretty big tourist attraction, but unfortunately it closed down a couple years ago due to poor condition, a bit expected if you knew the history of the place like I did. The stairs where still in the same spot I had seen in pictures, but their actually quite bigger then I had expected.