1 || fate

── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──
"𝙬𝙚 𝙤𝙣𝙡𝙮 𝙢𝙚𝙩 𝙚𝙖𝙘𝙝 𝙤𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧 𝙟𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙤𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧 𝙙𝙖𝙮, 𝙗𝙪𝙩 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙖𝙡𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙙𝙮 𝙜𝙤𝙩 𝙢𝙚 𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙨𝙤𝙢𝙚 𝙩𝙮𝙥𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙬𝙖𝙮."
── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

Vera and Theodore's meeting could be called fate. Or it could be called overly fake friendly pureblood parents maintaining their image. They had met years ago, back when they were 8 years old. They were acquaintances and would talk to each other twice or thrice a year when they met. Vera would smile at Theodore when they made eye contact at a party, and Theodore would wave to her. Yes, the two of them didn't believe in fate.

The summer before the fifth year, the summer when no one believed the Dark Lord was back, the summer where it was a hush-hush topic in front of the children. The summer of tea parties and wine tastings and formal dinners. This one was the latter, although Vera would have enjoyed the former activities more.

Her outfit was elegant— a high neck sleeveless black dress. Her hair, cherry red, (which she had dyed to piss off her mother but ended up really liking) was in a high bun with wispy curtain bangs framing her face. She greeted the guests as the house elves allowed them to enter.

"Hi, Ms. Berkshire. You look lovely today, how are you?" Vera greeted politely, smiling brilliantly at Lorenzo's step mother. His father, yet again, could not make it.

"Wonderful, my dear. And dare I say, you look as beautiful as ever." The woman responded, her brown curls swaying as she walked.

"Thank you, Ms. Berkshire, you are absolutely gracious," Vera said, making a face at Enzo the second her back was turned. She stuck her tongue out at the boy and scrunched up her nose. Enzo returned the goofy stare, waving his hands in the air.

"Lorenzo! Do not make those horrible faces at her." Ms. Berkshire said, narrowing her eyes at the boy. Enzo rolled his eyes and stood beside Vera.

"You are such a brat. Stop sucking up to my stepmother." He whispered, poking her in her side.

"Don't be jealous because she likes me more than you. It was bound to happen." She whispered back, another larger-than-life smile gracing her face as she heard the door open. The funny thing was, Vera wasn't really a people pleaser. It was all a game to her. She would compliment an adult and call them names the second they were out of earshot. It was a mean thing to do but that's how she liked it.

"Ah, Vera. Aren't you just a doll?" Mrs. Malfoy smiled at her. "Hello, Enzo. Lovely to see you here."

"Welcome, Mrs. Malfoy, Mr. Malfoy. I adore your dress, Mrs. Malfoy, by the way." Vera said, smiling at the pair. Mr. Malfoy smiled begrudgingly at her.

"Thank you lovely, please call me Narcissa." She said as she made her way to the living room, clutching her husband's arm.

"Draco, go play." Mr. Malfoy chimed in, staring at his boy.

"Yes, Father." The blond murmured, looking at his feet. As soon as the parents were gone, Enzo and Vera burst into laughter.

"Yes, Father." Vera mocked in a sad tone, an exaggerated frown on her face.

"Whoo hoo! Time to play Draycoo." Enzo cooed, making puppy dog eyes at his friend.