6 || cherry soda

── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

"𝙙𝙖𝙣𝙘𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙜𝙝 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙣𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩

𝙖 𝙫𝙤𝙙𝙠𝙖 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙖 𝙨𝙥𝙧𝙞𝙩𝙚"

── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

Holidays were approaching and Vera was more anxious than ever before. Her eyes were slightly sunken and her cheekbones more hollow and defined--she just felt sick.

The holidays were usually a time of joy for Vera, she loved this time of year the most, but her mother put so much pressure on her that it simply sucked the joy out of all of it.

Her mother was making her attend a debutante ball to showcase her inception into society, mainly in hopes of finding her a marital partner. It was an event that all girls around her age were invited to, as well as all boys (purebloods only, of course).

Vera knew that her mother was simultaneously planning her 17th birthday ball which was a huge deal for purebloods in Europe-- that would be in August. It was stressful and all of those thoughts circling her head made it difficult to concentrate.

Despite having a fake relationship with Theo for this very reason, Vera was convinced that the plan would fall through and she would be married off as soon as she graduated. She had been ignoring her mother's letters, or being especially vague on purpose.

The train back home left that next morning. Vera and her friend group had planned all sorts of activities over the holidays considering that they get two weeks of break, but she felt as though she couldn't relax until after this ball.

── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

"Veve?" Theo lifted up her trunk and carried it for her as they walked towards the train station. "Are you okay?" He asked, concern written all over his features.

"I'm fine," She muttered, tying her hair into a loose bun. "You don't have to carry my stuff, Theo." Vera gave the boy a weak smile.

"Yeah, okay." The brunet scoffed, winking at the girl. They made it onto the train and found the rest of their friends sitting in a compartment as usual. After setting their stuff down and settling in, the group started their usual chatter.

"Hey, did you get your debut dress yet?" Pansy asked, holding up a polaroid. Vera's face paled with the thought and shook her head. "Look, this one is less slutty than the one I picked out but it's similar enough I guess. It's because my dad's weirdly conservative." She rolled her eyes.

The dress was a high neck sleeveless white ballgown with lots of frill and lace. Pansy cringed slightly as she looked at the photo closer.

"If anyone can pull it off, it's you." Vera assured her best friend, moving some of the girl's dark hair out of her face.

After that, Vera was a lot more quiet than usual, and her friends seemed to notice this. She hadn't made any jokes or sarcastic remarks, the girl seemed to be lost in her own thoughts.

"Vera, don't be worried about your mother." Theo rubbed his thumb along the girl's hand soothingly. "Everything will be alright."

"Yeah." Vera nodded, trying to make herself believe it. "It'll be okay." Trying to get her mind off of all her issues at home, she smiled at the boy beside her. "I take it, I still owe you a nap?"

"Yes," The boy huffed sarcastically. "I haven't slept since then." When the girl started to laugh, he continued with his little bit. "I'm serious! My body can't fall asleep unless it's on your shoulder."