2 || sweet dreams

── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

"𝙞 𝙙𝙤𝙣'𝙩 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙡𝙞𝙚, 𝙞'𝙫𝙚 𝙗𝙚𝙚𝙣 𝙧𝙚𝙡𝙮𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙤𝙣 𝙮𝙤𝙪

𝙛𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙖𝙜𝙖𝙞𝙣, 𝙞 𝙣𝙚𝙚𝙙 𝙖 𝙥𝙞𝙘𝙠 𝙢𝙚 𝙪𝙥"

── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

Vera tucked her feet underneath her as she flipped the page of her book.

"Merlin, have your thighs always been this big?" Alma said, glancing worriedly at the girl. Vera snapped the book shut, standing on her feet at the sound of her mother's voice.

"Maybe it's the shorts," Vera said, twisting her body to the side for her mother to view. "Look, they look fine from the side." Vera was wearing a pink silk tank top and matching shorts.

She shook her head, her locks of golden hair falling into her face. "No, Vera, they look the same from that angle too."

"What the fuck." Vera muttered under her breath. Her mother had seen her lips moving.

"I am your mother. I can comment on your body. Don't speak under your breath like that, only old mudbloods do that." She chided, grimacing at the girl.

"Okay," Vera said, trying to wring the defeated tone out of her voice before taking her book and heading upstairs. She ground her teeth together, physically stopping herself from saying anything.

Vera walked into the bathroom and stood on the scale as she gazed at the changing numbers. Less than yesterday but still not good enough for her mother.

She took a seat in her bed as she continued to read, mind drifting elsewhere every few sentences. The train to Hogwarts was tomorrow and she could not wait to get out of this shithole where she didn't have to talk to her mother or write her letters unless she wanted money or something.

Vera would see her friends again. Draco and Lorenzo were arriving together because Enzo only stayed at his father's house for the weekends during the summer. He usually stayed at Malfoy Manor with Draco's family the rest of the time. And Theo---

Well, Vera wasn't quite sure what he was to her. Lorenzo and Draco promised not to tell anyone that their dating arrangement was fake, meaning that they had to act in front of Mattheo, Blaise, and Pansy. Even so, she was excited to see him.

Placing her book on her nightstand, she flicked off the light and placed her sleeping mask over her eyes. Staying up would only trigger her anxiety. Sleeping was better, it was always better.

── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

Her mask had slipped off of her eyes during her slumber and the soft rays of sun streaming through her window had awakened Vera. However, she didn't really mind. After getting ready, she asked the house elves to carry her trunk and luggage downstairs.

"Bye Darling. Write to me, Veve." Vera's father placed a kiss on her cheek, his stubble tickling her face. She smiled, grateful that he at least was able to say bye to her at home.

"Bye Daddy. I will." She wrapped her arms around his torso and he hugged back. Vera's mother just watched them. After grabbing a pastry from the table and wrapping it in a napkin, he apparated to work, leaving only the girls at home.

"I want to know what you're doing in Hogwarts. Send letters and keep me posted." Alma said, taking a bite of a pain au chocolat.

"Okay." Vera looked down at her plate before stabbing a strawberry.