45 || the library

── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──
"𝙨𝙤𝙢𝙚𝙩𝙞𝙢𝙚𝙨 𝙞𝙩 𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙡𝙨 𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙚 𝙞'𝙫𝙚 𝙜𝙤𝙩 𝙖 𝙬𝙖𝙧 𝙞𝙣 𝙢𝙮 𝙢𝙞𝙣𝙙
𝙞 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝙜𝙚𝙩 𝙤𝙛𝙛, 𝙗𝙪𝙩 𝙞 𝙠𝙚𝙚𝙥 𝙧𝙞𝙙𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙧𝙞𝙙𝙚"
── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

Vera entered the library, not sure of where else to go besides the dungeons. As a Slytherin, she didn't have many friends from other houses who would sneak her into their common rooms. Besides, she appreciated the peace and quiet after the day she had.

After buttering up Madame Pince, the librarian, with lots of polite small talk and smiles, she went to browse the youth section: also known as the only section of the library not riddled with textbooks and potion instructions. However, it was a large expanse of the library.

Just thinking of the smell of cigarettes, alcohol, and weed merging together into a cloud in the common room made Vera's stomach twist with nausea. Even a party girl needed a break once in a while.

Spotting a head of fluffy brown curls, Vera stopped in her tracks, clutching her books closer to her chest. The figure looked up, eyes widening as she spotted her.

Vera decided to approach her, a reluctant smile on her face. "Hello. Should've known you'd be in here." The girl joked, setting her books down next to Hermione's.

"Vera!" Hermione said, setting her quill down and returning the smile. "Hello."

"May I?" Vera asked, gesturing to the empty seats beside Hermione.

"Of course." She said, nodding, helping Vera pull back the seat. "You know, I've yet to thank you for what you did last year. Neither have the boys. But I wanted to say it was really brave of you. So, thank you, even though Umbridge was faster than us, you really did try to help us."

"There's honestly no need to thank me." Vera shook her head. "I wouldn't call myself brave. Rather... impulsive." She shrugged, looking into Hermione's eyes. "I feel really guilty for it."

Hermione raised an eyebrow in confusion before realization clicked in her eyes. "That was not your fault!" She said, indignantly. "How were you to know?"

"Still," Vera began. "I haven't told anyone, not even Theo. Only Pansy and you three know. Somehow, I feel like by alerting you both that Umbridge was coming, I helped put my close friend's and boyfriend's fathers in Azkaban." She buried her face in her hands, sighing quietly.

Hermione's hand encircled Vera's, her face twisted into a comforting expression. "If it helps... I think the outcome of that night would have been the same regardless."

Vera began laughing, causing the girl beside her to join in. "Hermione, that absolutely does not help." She giggled because it was easier than reacting with anything else.

"Anyway," The girl chuckled, attempting to brush off the uncomfortable topic. "Why are you here tonight? No Slytherin parties, no Theodore?"

"I'm meeting Theo at midnight today." Vera mused, glazing over Hermione's inquisitive expression. "Relax, we're going to the Astronomy Tower for some fresh air."

"Naturally." The girl nodded, a knowing smile on her face.

"And I didn't feel like getting fucking pissed today, I dunno." She said in regard to the party, watching Hermione's nose wrinkle with her language. "What?" Vera laughed, shaking her head. "Don't expect me to always be a lady!"