5 || teddy

── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

"𝙞'𝙡𝙡 𝙨𝙝𝙤𝙬 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮 𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙨𝙞𝙤𝙣 𝙤𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛 𝙩𝙤𝙣𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩"

── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

The gold and scarlett of the autumnal leaves were now the hues of deep brown that carpeted the crunchy grass. A crisp noise would echo with each step Vera took. The nights fell upon them quicker, and the days got colder with each passing minute. Hogwarts had to be illuminated with blue-white lights, a soft glow on students faces as they walked in and out of the castle.

Vera's favorite spot on the entire grounds was enclosed in a patch of land, surrounded by tall green pine trees and a small section of the lake trapped between smooth gray boulders, making a perfect swimming area. The best part was that no one knew about it because you had to climb the rocks to get to the secret spot.

That's what the girl decided to do that night, before it got too cold to visit. She used her hands to prop herself up as she descended some of the larger rocks that she had to climb to get to the area. Vera pulled her knees into her chest and just admired the view from a height.

It must have been an hour past curfew already. The girl sat and mused and mulled and thought like she always did for a while longer before getting off the rock and onto the crunchy sand. Twigs, leaves, and larger stones littered the chunky sand but Vera still thought it was the most beautiful scene.

Despite the cold, Vera took off her shoes and tights, dipping her feet into the water. It was ignorant, she knew that, but Vera loved the feeling of simply being cold. It meant that she was alive, that she was human. She could feel things, she wasn't numb. She knew it was stupid, but it was a small comfort to her.

She stood in the water for a while, feeling the gentle waves crash over her ankles, and then her calves, and then her knees. Vera stayed there for a while, as the cold sensation turned into her sense of normal.

"What the fuck are you doing?" A voice called out, concern lacing their loud tone. "Vera?"

Vera turned quickly, her face heating up with embarrassment, to see Theodore Nott. He seemed to be everywhere these days. Just like she seemed to be spending lots of time with him these past few months.

"What are you doing here?" The girl asked, crossing her arms as a sudden cold breeze caused her to shiver.

"I asked first." Theo stared at her, looking at the girl up and down with a troubled expression cast across his face.

"No, I mean, how did you find this place?" She asked, impatience written all over her face. Vera started to come back to shore, dipping down so that the tips of her fingers grazed the cool water.

"I found it last year." The boy shrugged, looking at her emerging figure. "I come here to think, you know."

"Obviously, to smoke too." Vera gestured towards the pack of cigarettes in the boy's hand with narrowed eyes. She wiped her feet on some dry pebbles and used her hand to get rid of the excess droplets of water on her legs. "Sorry, I didn't know you knew about this place. I found it last year as well." Vera's tone softened as she looked into Theo's mesmerizing blue eyes.

"Don't be sorry." His voice was barely a whisper. "I was just concerned."

"Well, I am. I never wanted to worry anyone." She responded.

"Why were you swimming?"

"I mean, I was only knee-deep. I suppose I like the cold. It's comforting to me." Vera admitted, her face heating up again. "It's stupid." She looked away, back towards the lake.