42 || seventeen candles

── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──
"𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙙𝙖𝙣𝙘𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙦𝙪𝙚𝙚𝙣
𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙜 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙨𝙬𝙚𝙚𝙩
𝙤𝙣𝙡𝙮 𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣"
── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

Vera arose from her dreams and stretched, quickly realizing it was her birthday. She was hit with some emotion, some melancholic sadness she had yet to unpack. The girl buried it beneath everything else that had to be done that day.

After she brushed her teeth and got ready for the day, Vera found a letter on her nightstand that was from none other than Theodore Nott. It was delievered exactly at midnight and was strokes and strokes of poetic sweet nothings jammed into a single parchment. She sighed happily, rereading the letter over and over before going to hang it up. Suddenly, she squealed, pulling out her wand as she realized that she could use magic now. With the first spell she ever learned in Charms, Wingardium Leviosa, she hung the letter beside her pictures and posters in her room.

When Vera went downstairs, she was astonished to find her dad at the dining table. She thought that he had work, but he surprised her with a day off and a stack of pancakes at her seat. He had bought her a lot of new clothes, which her mother had helped pick out, and also gifted her a journal he had been writing in since the day she was born.

The pages contained the sweetest things. They read some of them aloud. "Veve walked for the first time today! I swear that girl will be an athlete when she grows up, she was fast." Cassius read as Vera laughed at how untrue that situation was. "My darling Veve went to Hogwarts today. A Slytherin, just like her daddy." He continued. It had pictures taped into it and everything.

Vera glared at the page when she flipped through the book. "What does that say? My baby turned thirteen. I heard her tell Pansy that she had a crush on Cedric Diggory. They grow up so fast. Daddy! Hello?! Why would you put that in the book?" She started to yelp but couldn't help laughing as her dad did so. "Do not tell Theo. He'll get insecure."

"You didn't read the rest. This journal is getting full soon. I wonder when I can give this to her." He laughed, shaking his head. "Now, why would I write that."

"Ha, ha." Vera mocked, digging a fork into her pancakes. They were topped with frosting and sprinkles, and they were extremely decadent. She cut through the sweetness with some sausage on the side, dipping it into ketchup.

Her mom was away on some charity event trip but she left a happy birthday note and promised that she would be home for dinner. They had compromised to turn the extravagant ball into a dinner party with close friends, and Vera was able to choose what families they invited.

After finishing breakfast, Vera hung out with her dad all day, taking a trip down to Brighton to walk down the shore and sit together. She loved spending time with him even though he was usually extremely busy. It just meant that they cherished it more.

The weather was extremely hot so they splashed around in the icy water for a while before wrapping themselves up in towels and getting something for lunch. Unlike her mother, Cassius encouraged Vera to eat and brought her fries with ketchup while eating a greasy cheeseburger himself. He finished off the rest of his daughter's fries when she was full and they sat at the beach a bit longer before apparating back home.

They took showers and her father took a nap while she read her book on the couch, bringing them to late afternoon. Their family owl screeched as it entered the room, startling Cassius and causing Vera to giggle. She took the letter from the owl, recognizing the seal and realizing that it was a letter from her mother.