Bokuto Kōtarō | Mopey

—

Bokuto Kōtarō
Emo mode...
Proofread - 1272 words
They/Them pronouns used

"What's up with you today, Bokuto? Your playing has been off all day..." Coach Yamiji seemed annoyed by his ace's performance, as well as his poor attitude. He had been stalking around the court for the whole match— The other team had even taken the first set, and was close to snatching up the second if they didn't get their act together. The score was 13-10 with the opposite team being in the lead.

Every member of Fukurodani's volleyball team was gathered around their coach, but all eyes were on their boisterous ace who seemed to be going through another one of his mood swings. This happened often, and there was usually no telling what set him off. The spotlight not being on him, someone blocking his spike, or maybe he forgot to eat that morning and was running on an empty stomach.

"Are they mad at me?! How come they didn't come watch?" Bokuto grabbed both sides of his head with his hands, turning around so his back was facing his teammates. "What did I do wrong?! They're clearly punishing me!"

Everyone gave him a pointed, deadpan expression. He must have been joking, right? There's no way that this was the cause behind his 'emo mode' making its grand entrance for the day. He had been doing so good, too. He went about ten games in a row without getting all depressed on them. Akaashi sighed and nodded... He was the only one who seemed to understand.

"Y/N's not here?" Everyone turned to look at each other with sudden understanding. That's right, Bokuto's partner. Both his greatest strength and his greatest weakness, because when they were there he made sure to show off and do his best to impress them... However, when they weren't there he got all upset and automatically assumed he did something to upset them. "Well, Bokuto. It is a school day, so I'm sure they're just working hard in their classes. If they could make it they'd be here right now, cheering you on."

"But they're not here, Akaashi! They must not love me anymore." Bokuto suddenly turned around and fell to his knees, pressing his forehead to the gymnasium floor. His teammates stared at him with a mix of disgust and bewilderment... Ridiculous. "Whatever will I do?! Y/N was perfect for me, I'll never be able to find a better lover. I'm doomed, guys! I'm doom-"

"Hey, look." Akaashi nudged him with his shin in the side, pointing to the stands where Fukurodani's cheering section was. Standing in the front row was Y/N, sporting Bokuto's extra jersey. It was a little big on them so it went past their hips and the sleeves were loose, but it looked cute. Bokuto raised his head to see what his friend was gesturing to, and when he saw his lover standing there wearing his clothes like merchandise... He nearly lost it.

"Oh, my love!" He quickly rose to his feet and waved dramatically, using his whole body to gesture to them. They gave a laugh, causing his heart to flutter in his chest, and waved back. He gestured to his own jersey, and then to the one they were wearing. He was in a much better mood suddenly, like that whole thing never even happened to begin with. "Well, what are we doing just standing around, guys? If we lose I'm gonna look so lame in front of my partner, so let's get out there and win this."

Akaashi huffed. He was smiling, but there was a hint of annoyance in his look. "That's what we've been trying to do... It's kind of hard when our ace has other things on his mind."

"What are you even saying?! Let's just get out there and win, alright guys?" There were cheers of agreement followed by the ref's whistle blowing to show that the time out Yamiji called was now over. As Fukurodani's current lineup walked back out to the court, their benchwarmers returning to their spot on the sidelines, Akaashi turned to give Y/N a small nod and wave of gratitude. Even if they hadn't shown up, he would have figured out a way to manipulate Bokuto out of his slump... But it was good timing nonetheless, and he was grateful for that.

Everyone worked their asses off out on the court, and before anyone could even blink Fukurodani had taken the lead, nabbing the second set with ease, and then soon after they took the third too. It was completely unexpected and uncalled for, but they had indeed turned the game around entirely and won without any trouble. Or, um... Without a lot of trouble, that is.

Y/N had pushed through the bustling crowd and made their way down onto the court, grinning from ear to ear when their spirited boyfriend laid his eyes on them. He practically jumped, sprinting away from his team to scoop them up into his embrace. With his arms around their waist, his torso tilted back to lift them off their feet while spinning around. After a full 720° turn, he set them down onto the floor and pulled his arms away to set his hands on his hips. He was quite proud of himself, clearly.

"Did you see me out there, Y/N?! Did you see me? I spiked the ball so hard, that other team didn't know what was coming!" He laughed quite loudly, and Y/N couldn't help but laugh along with him. They shook their head with amusement.

"I saw, Kō. You looked really cool out there! Oh by the way, I hope you don't mind that I stole your jersey. I figured it was the best way to show my support!"

"Are you kidding?" He gave a sly grin before he reached out and put his hands on their hips, stepping a little closer so his chest was practically pressed against theirs. "I love it. You look so good in my jersey, you can just wear my clothes whenever you want!"

Y/N laughed and his heart fluttered again. Such a beautiful sound, he felt honored to be able to hear it let alone be the cause of it. He had to stop himself from leaning in and kissing them all over their face, instead just pressing a chaste kiss to their lips. "I love you, Kō..." They suddenly pulled away and gave him a cheeky look. "You reek though. Go shower, you sweaty mess!"

"Aw, come on! You don't like it?" He laughed again and reached out to hug them, rubbing his cheek against theirs while they tried to wriggle out of his grasp. Still, they were laughing uncontrollably. "Alright, alright. I'll go shower. Love you." He started to walk away, but he ran back to give them one more kiss before sprinting off to the locker room.

"Dork." Their gaze lingered on them for another moment before they went to leave themself. They'd probably see Bokuto at home anyway.

Quick little message. It's been over two years since I've updated this story. I never expected it to get big or really to write it ever again, but I've realized how horrible my writing used to be and how much I've improved so I decided I would try to redeem myself. Maybe go back and rewrite some old chapters so they aren't as... Cringe. Enjoy 🫶

Also... I've been contemplating taking some NSFW requests to switch things up🤭, so if anyone is interested in that feel free to PM me or comment on the requests chapter.