Please, for me? ( Ellen Dolan )

I've been the partner of "the spirit" for quite some time now, and I have to say it's not the best job ever. Frankly, I think it's one of the worst jobs ever. The only thing that made this job doable and tolerable was the fact that I could occasionally see the commissioner's daughter. Ellen. She was the bright spot during this job, even though deep down I know she doesn't even see me. She only has eyes for him. For "the spirit. Just like every other girl and woman in this town. It hurt me, but I held out hope that the looks she gave me from time to time had something more opinion than just a friendly one.

How I actually got started as his partner, I don't know exactly. Unlike him, I do die quickly and I do get seriously injured quickly. And you would think, since he was such a womanizer that he would start paying attention to me, but nope. That's not true in my case.

He didn't care about me. al tans, not since he had found out that I was completely immune to his flirting and that I wasn't, like those other women, going to fall at his feet. From then on he completely ignored me, used me, and forgot about me.

This last mission was no different. We had been fighting the octopus and no matter what I said or did to help the situation, he ignored me and just continued how he was doing. At one point I was used as a human shield and it worked. I caught 3 bullets: 1 in my shoulder, 1 in my side, and the last one in my leg. And if that wasn't enough, after I had done my duty, he literally threw me aside, into the muddy water in which we were fighting.

He and the octopus kept fighting until they were both exhausted and out of breath and sank into the water.

I lay there half ood bleeding in that water, but all he could do was give me a disdainful look. Even the octopus, which had sunk down next to my body, looked at me more worriedly than him.

Anyway, that was a few months ago now.

In these past few months, I have literally experienced hell. I first fought for my life in the hospital since I had lost so much blood and after I finally got back on my feet, I went to therapy to learn how to use my shoulder, arm, and leg again.

And even though these months may have been pure hell, filled with a lot of blood sweat, and tears, at the same time I haven't felt this good for a long time. Little did I know that "the spirit" had such a great effect on me, and I don't just mean physically. Mentally too, apparently.

These months helped me with my recovery and also pushed me to think. My hatred for 'the spirit' has become so great that I don't even want to work with him again. The only thing that will convince me, I think then, to do it again anyway, is the commissioner. He and I both hate the guy, and I can't do it to him to let him work with the guy alone. The chance is still minimal, but he is still existing, unfortunately. As mental as that sounds.

Anyway, the commissioner had picked me up to take me to his daughter's practice for my checkup. I didn't want to go because I didn't want to run into my partner, which is why the pickup didn't go so smoothly. He almost had to literally pull me out the door and throw me into the car.

" Come on, you really aren't going to run into him. I promise you that. "
" If I do, he'll get a fist to his face. " I said through clenched teeth.

We walked into the building and the smell alone made me think back to those weeks in that hospital. I shook off the memory as soon as Dolan knocked on the door.

" Come in. " said the voice I missed the most. I stepped inside with a smile, but it disappeared like snow as soon as I saw HIM sitting there, on a chair, facing her, with a head wound she was treating. That was enough to make me boil, but the fact that his eyes were lower than on her face added to it.

I think the two figured out that things weren't going to go well for long, so Ellen made haste with his head and she showed him the door. He got up and said some little things to Ellen, but she didn't really seem to be listening. The whole time he was talking, her eyes were looking right into mine, and I'd be lying if I said that didn't do anything to me.

Finally, he gave her a kiss on the cheek and walked to the door where I was still standing.
" Hey y/n, good to have you back on your feet - "

I didn't even let him finish. As soon as he was close enough, I raised my fist and swung it right in his face, full against his nose. I heard first a crunch and then a whimper from him as he grabbed his nose.
" Don't complain like that. You also didn't hear me complain when I got three bullets in my body after you used me as a human shield and then let me lay, bleeding to death. " I said angrily but still with a grin on my face.

Dolan pushed him out and before closing the door behind him, he gave me a thumbs-up and a wink.

" Nice punch. " I heard that angelic voice say and I turned and was greeted by still beautiful Ellen. She had a big smile on her face, her blonde, short curls lay perfectly and her eyes sparkled.

She came up to me and I expected a hug, but it didn't come. In its place, I got a punch against my arm.
" Ouch! What was that for? "
" For the fact that you scared me so much. You almost died! " she said and then flew into my arms as she began to sob lightly.

I hugged her back and breathed in her perfume.
" I- I was so afraid I lost you. Had y- you done that to me then... Then..."
" Shhh. I'm here and I'm not going anywhere for now. "

She let go and looked at me playfully sternly, but the tears still streaming down her cheeks said otherwise.

I gently grabbed her cheeks and wiped away the tears with my thumbs.
" You shouldn't cry over me. I'm still here and I'm not going anywhere for now. " I said and that made her smile a little anyway.

For the rest, she began the tests she had to do as my doctor to decide if everything was okay with me and if I am completely healed.
" You are back to your old self. Everything looks good and your wounds have healed perfectly.

" she said as she put away the last dings she had used. I wanted to jump off the medical bed until Ellen put a stop to it and pinned me down by putting her hands next to me and standing right in front of me.

" Y/N, are you really going through with this?
" she asked and I could hear a small tremor in her voice. " I can't leave your dad to his fate.

And besides, the guy needs me. Otherwise, he gets hit by bullets too often.

" I joked to make the atmosphere a little happier, but it didn't really seem to work.
" Y/N! You almost died! I almost lost you!

You can't do this to me again! I care too much about you to keep watching you destroy yourself.... " her voice ebbed away as the sentence ended.

Did she care about me?

" I beg y/n. Stop this y/n. Please, for me? "

At this moment, her tears flowed down her cheeks like waterfalls, and I couldn't help but release a few tears as well. " Okay...I'll say I quit, but on one condition. "
" What? I really do everything? " she said with hope in her voice and eyes.
" Kiss me... " I whispered and looked at her.

Nothing in her face changed and I began to panic in my head.

Did I fuck up our friendship? Did I go too far? Did I misjudge the situation...

My thoughts were interrupted by her soft, full lips pressed to mine. Her hands slid around my neck and mine hid in her hair.

The kiss was even better than I could have imagined. For me, the sparks literally flew off. It was so magical and he was so full of love that we were both irritated when we had to let go of each other to get air in.

Damn you air.

" I've wanted to do that for ages," she said touching her lips with her fingertips.
" Me too. " I said honestly before pulling her to me once more. Our lips touched again and after we had to pull away for air again, we held our foreheads together.
" Ellen, will you be my friend? " I whispered softly, afraid of her answer.
" Yes... " she whispered back and I was the happiest woman in the world.

Now that I think about it, I should send that idiot a thank you. Without him, none of this would have happened.