14. Valerie and the secret party

November 1975

The third of November arrives, and excitement bubbles through the corridors of Hogwarts. It's Sirius Black's birthday, a day that promises celebration for everyone who knows him. Among them, I find myself a part of a secret plan—a plan to surprise Sirius and make his day unforgettable.

I spot Remus, Peter, and James conspiring in a corner of the common room. Their heads bent together, they're deep in discussion, and a sly smile tugs at my lips. Making my way over, I lean against the wall with a grin. "What mischief are you all up to?"

James chuckles, glancing up at me with a wink. "Secret mission, Val. We're planning a surprise party for Sirius."

Remus smirks, his eyes dancing with amusement. "And we're counting on you to help us keep him distracted."

I raise an eyebrow, intrigued by the challenge. "Oh, am I the official Sirius-distractor now?"

Peter nods, his eyes gleaming mischievously. "Exactly. Can you keep him away from the common room for a while?"

With a nod of determination, I accept the task. Throughout the day, I make sure to spend extra time with Sirius, diverting his attention with tales and adventures. I notice him casting curious glances towards the common room entrance a few times, clearly wondering what's going on.

As the afternoon sun begins to wane, I find us strolling along the edge of the Forbidden Forest. The rustling leaves and the distant call of a bird create a tranquil atmosphere, and I decide it's the perfect opportunity to share stories.

"Hey, Sirius," I begin, a playful glint in my eye. "Did I ever tell you about the time James tried to fly on his toy broomstick and ended up stuck in a tree?"

Sirius chuckles, his curiosity piqued. "No, you haven't. Tell me more."

I launch into the tale, embellishing the details to keep him entertained. He listens with rapt attention, his laughter filling the air. Just as his curiosity about the party starts to resurface, I smoothly transition into another story, ensuring he remains engrossed in the conversation.

By the time the sun begins its descent, we find ourselves near the Black Lake, sitting on a grassy patch. I recount stories of pranks, daring adventures, and amusing mishaps. Sirius is thoroughly captivated, his gaze fixed on me as I weave tales that keep him engrossed.

As twilight paints the sky in hues of orange and purple, I share one final story, a particularly funny anecdote involving a mishap during Transfiguration class. His laughter rings out, and I know I've succeeded in keeping his attention away from the common room.

With a contented smile, I stretch my arms above my head. "Well, Sirius, that's the end of my storytelling session."

He grins back, seemingly reluctant to let the moment end. "You're quite the storyteller, Val."

I chuckle, giving him a playful nudge. "Only the best for your birthday, right?"

As we make our way back towards the castle, I can't help but feel a sense of satisfaction. The distraction was a success, and it's been a day filled with laughter and shared moments. I've managed to keep Sirius away from the surprise preparations, and I know that the party waiting for him will be well worth the wait.

James, Remus, and Peter have been hard at work, decorating the space with an assortment of colorful banners, twinkling lights, and even a makeshift dance floor.

I lead Sirius back to the Gryffindor common room, my heart brimming with anticipation. I know he has no idea what awaits him, and that adds an extra layer of excitement to the occasion.