18. Valerie and the library

December 1975

I find solace in the quiet corners of the library, surrounded by the scent of old books and the muffled sounds of students studying. The events of yesterday still echo in my mind, and I can't escape the fact that my name is now the talk of the castle – thanks to my brother's dramatic outburst. The last thing I need is more attention.

As I bury my nose in a Charms textbook, I hear a familiar voice. "Valerie?"

I look up to find Remus standing there, concern etched on his features. A small smile tugs at my lips – Remus always has a way of seeking me out when I'm feeling low.

"Hey, Remus," I greet him, pushing aside my books and gesturing for him to take a seat. He settles down across from me, his gaze unwavering.

"You've been quite elusive lately," he says gently, his tone inviting me to open up. I sigh, raking a hand through my hair.

"Yeah, I know. I've just been... dealing with things," I reply, my gaze dropping to the table. "After everything that happened with James and Evan, I needed some space."

Remus leans forward, his expression understanding. "Valerie, you know you can always talk to me, right? I'm here for you."

I meet his eyes, and the genuine concern in them warms my heart. "I appreciate that, Remus. I really do. It's just... complicated."

He nods, not pressing me further. "Okay, but remember that you have friends who care about you. We're not going anywhere."

A small smile tugs at the corners of my lips. "Thanks, Remus. I know I can count on you."

He returns my smile, and for a moment, the weight of the world feels a little lighter. Even though I haven't told him the full story, having Remus's support means more to me than I can express.

The library's hushed atmosphere is a soothing balm, and Remus's presence is like a reassuring anchor. We've been studying in companionable silence, lost in our respective books. But then, Remus's voice breaks the quiet with a playful tone.

"So, Val, mind telling me how you ended up going on a date with Evan? We don't have to talk about if you don't want to, I'm just really curious" he asks, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

I chuckle, feeling the tension ease a bit. "Oh, you know, the usual story. Tripped over my own embarrassment, and there he was to catch me." I joke shaking my head, unable to hide the grin that tugs at my lips.

Remus's laughter joins mine, the sound warm and genuine as he plays along. "Leave it to you to make a grand entrance," he teases, his eyes sparkling with amusement.

"Hey, it's a gift," I reply, feigning a proud expression. Being too much around Sirius has brought the both of us to show more dramatics.

We share a genuine laugh, the tension of the past days melting away like the snow outside. It's moments like these that remind me why Remus is such a treasured friend. He knows how to lighten the mood and make even the most embarrassing situations seem less daunting.

"You know," Remus starts, a thoughtful expression crossing his features, "Evan's not a bad guy."

I raise an eyebrow playfully. "Oh, really? Are you trying to play matchmaker now?"

He chuckles, leaning back in his chair. "Well, I do have a bit of experience in that department."

We both share a knowing smile. Remus's knack for offering sage advice and being the voice of reason has always been one of his strengths. I'm grateful for his presence and his ability to make even the most complicated situations feel manageable.