45. Valerie and the head boy

August 1976

The scent of freshly baked biscuits fills the cozy kitchen, mixing with the rich aroma of coffee brewing in the pot. The morning sun filters through the curtains, casting a warm and inviting glow across the wooden table, where we all sit together for breakfast. It's been a while since we've had a moment like this – our family complete.

Mia and Monty have been busy with their work, often away on Ministry business. But today, they're finally home, and the laughter that fills the room is infectious. My heart still carries the weight of the secrets they've kept from me, but their presence here is reassuring.

Sirius and I have started an impromptu competition of who can stuff more biscuits into our mouths. Crumbs fly, and we both end up giggling, trying to talk with our mouths full.

"Eat your breakfast like civilized people, you two," Euphemia scolds gently, though her eyes twinkle with amusement.

James grins widely and claps his hands. "Come on, Sirius, Val, show us what you've got!"

Dad joins in the cheering, his deep laugh filling the room. "That's the spirit! Don't let them win so easily, you two."

As the biscuits pile up in our mouths, our laughter becomes uncontrollable. Crumbs tumble down onto our plates and scatter across the table.

Sirius and I continue our biscuit-eating contest with unrestrained enthusiasm, despite mom's mild protests. James and dad encourage us, clapping and cheering like we're in the middle of a Quidditch match.

In a surprising twist of fate, or perhaps due to a very determined chewing technique, I manage to stuff the last biscuit into my mouth and swallow it triumphantly. I stand up, almost choking on my own laughter, and declare, "I am the best biscuit-stuffer in the whole wide world!"

Sirius, not one to accept defeat easily, protests with a mouthful of crumbs, "That's beginner's luck! Rematch!"

But before another round can begin, an unexpected interruption steals our attention. A snowy owl swoops gracefully through the open window, landing gracefully on the table. It carries three letters, sealed with the Hogwarts crest.

We exchange glances, a mixture of anticipation and trepidation. Mia breaks the silence by gently picking up the letters and distributing them to their respective recipients.

I clutch my letter, the parchment cool and crisp under my trembling fingers. I can feel my heart pounding in my chest as I carefully open it. My eyes scan the page quickly, and a burst of elation courses through me as I see the results. "I did it! I passed with Os in nearly everything!" I exclaim, waving the letter in front of my mother.

Sirius leans over to peer at my results and teases, "Well, well, looks like we've got a nerd on our hands."

I shove him playfully, a grin spreading across my face. "Nerds are cool, Padfoot, remember?"

But as the laughter subsides, we notice James. He's been unusually silent since he opened his letter. His expression is fixed, almost frozen. It's as if he's seen a ghost.

Dad breaks the silence with a concerned tone. "James, are you all right, son?"

James slowly retrieves a small pin from the letter and holds it up for all of us to see. It's the coveted Head Boy pin. The realization hits us like a lightning bolt, and the room erupts in a mixture of shock, disbelief, and joy.

Sirius, unable to contain his amusement, bursts into uncontrollable laughter, collapsing onto the floor. "Prongs, a Head Boy? You're kidding me, right?"