Part 7

Jennifer opened her door to go downstairs to check her mail, just like she did every morning at eight o'clock sharp.
She had just poured herself a steaming cup of coffee, the first of three she drank every morning. She sighed after taking the first sip and shuffled her way to her door.

She got a stack of envelopes which she expected to be her bills for the month, nothing surprising. She picked them up and set them on the counter in between her living room and kitchen, in the mail organizer she and Michal had picked out at the store just for this time of day. Jen thought the holder looked good, now that it was filled with papers.
She poured herself another cup of coffee while she scrambled some eggs, her Saturday tradition she had had for years.
After having her peaceful breakfast, Jen got ready for the day. She decided it would be a good idea to go and get some more eggs.
Jen opened the door, slightly slower than usual. When she looked out she saw a dog standing at her front door.
It was small and had short, light brown hair. It was looking right at her when she opened the door. When Jen looked down at the dog, it flipped its head to one side and its tongue slipped out of its mouth. It did not make any noise at all.
"Hello, what's your name?" Jen asked, reaching down and looking around the dog's neck for any sign of a collar or identification.
The dog just smiled back at her.