Part 29

Jen was holding Michal's hand, limp on the bed.
She'd been there all night, ever since she got the call. She remembered how she had grabbed her purse and phone and sped over to the hospital, hoping he didn't look how she knew he would: sick.
Now, as she sat in her chair, in the dark green haze that the setting sun created in the room, all she could do was hang her head.

How could this happen?
That was the only thought that crept into Jennifer's mind as she studied Michal's sleeping form on the bed and watched his chest as it rose and fell.
Jen left and got some coffee. She wanted out. This felt like a bad dream. How could that man, who was completely fine less than a year ago, be like this now?
Where was Chris?

Jen thought all these things as she sat down.
Just then, Michal's breathing suddenly stopped for a moment. Jen whipped her head to look at him. But before the heart rate monitor flatlined, Michal suddenly gasped quietly and then his eyes opened, just barely.
Jen gasped herself and scooted her chair closer to Michal, so that their faces were only inches apart.

"Michal, Michal?"
"Jen, is that you?"
"Yes, Michal, I'm here," Jen answered, feeling like she had never been so relieved in her whole life.
His shallow face turned toward her and his eyes crinkled slightly at the edges, making Jen's do the same. He put his hand on her cheek, and Jen noticed it was cold.
"Jen, I'm - not gonna, make it much longer," Michal said in a hoarse and quiet voice, making Jen start to shake her head with denial.
"No, no Michal. You're here, Michal," she said as his hand slowly slipped away from her face, and she tried to pick it back up and place it back on her cheek.
"Michal, Mic-," she continued, but she was cut off by the monitor beeping.
One loud, long beep.
Jen wept that night.