VOL 3 Chapter 13 Unexpected Companion

It's the fifth day of the exam, there have been no problems, Ibuki still can't find out who the leader is. I've always kept the card close to me, and there have been no leaks, right now she must be desperately searching through everyone.

And unfortunately I'm the most suspicious, with the short time spent in the camp I became the main target for her, still I think it's impossible that I managed to get her out under special circumstances.

She will make her move soon. I must be prepared.

I continue with my normal activities, these point collections have become more and more exhausting, always being aware of them have made me lose hours of sleep.

I'm in my morning collection session, it's a nice day. I think that observing the landscape will make me recharge my energy, I sound like an old man.

When i reached one of the cliffs,  noticed a figure standing on it. He is a boy with a great physique but the most characteristic feature is his bald head.

It is Katsuragi Kohei

I stop a little before reaching him.

He turns to look in my direction, and says in a stern voice.

Katsuragi: Who's there?

He have a good perception.
Now, what do I do?

I could run away, he doesn't know my identity, which would help me to be anonymous. However I give up with this option, for today I'm going to confront him.

Hachiman: Sorry, if I surprised you. I just wanted to observe the scenery a bit.

I come out of the bushes that covered me. This may show that I have no ill will.

Katsuragi: Who are you?

Hachiman: It's rude to ask someone's name if you don't introduce yourself first.

He realizes his mistake.

Katsuragi: You are right, I am Katsuragi Kohei from class A.

Hachiman: Hikigaya Hachiman from class B.

He is surprised to learn that I am from class B, no wonder, we are direct rivals.

Katsuragi: So you are of the same class as that girl.

Hachiman: Did you meet Horikita?

Katsuragi: Yes, she was a little pushy in her methods.

So your meeting happened the same way.

Hachiman: I'm sorry if she was rude to you, she's quite aggressive when she wants to get what she wants, I apologize for her behavior.

Katsuragi: You don't have to apologize for her, everyone is responsible for their actions.

Hachiman: Thank you.

Katsuragi: You came here because you wanted to see the scenery, right?

Hachiman: Yes, this spot seems to have a great view.

Katsuragi: It is, it makes you relax a little.

I placed next to him. We have nothing to say to each other, we just silently contemplate the scenery. We both have personalities that only use words when they should, so there's no awkwardness involved.

Katsuragi: It's not normal for someone to walk alone in the forest.

Hachiman: I've always been a loner, I don't really like to be with my companions, so I go out all the time to avoid making trouble.

Katsuragi: It's not an admirable trait, in my opinion everyone should work together to achieve a result. Even if people clash.

I don't know why you are lecturing me, I would expect it from Honami or one of my classmates, but never from the leader of a rival class.

Hachiman: I appreciate the advice, but why are you helping me? We are from different classes.

Katsuragi: You're right, but I can't allow a classmate to wander carelessly through a forest. Besides your condition.

Hachiman: ......... Does it show a lot?

Katsuragi: Quite a lot, your dark circles under your eyes give you away.

Hachiman: hahaha, I guess sleeping on the floor hurts a city boy like me.

Katsuragi: To be fair, I think you're not the only one who's having a hard time, it's quite difficult the adjustment process.

Hachiman: Thank you for comforting me, I think, although in a way my manhood is being affected, being in these conditions.

Katsuragi: No need to thank me, besides you should put your health above your pride.

He looks like a serious older brother, even though I never had one, he gives a sense of calmness and seriousness.

Hachiman: Enough about me, tell me about yourself, it's also strange that you're alone around here.

Katsuragi:......... I guess I also had several things to think about.

Hachiman: Like what?

Katsuragi: mmmmmm......let's say about the disadvantages this school has.

Hachiman: Disadvantages?

I know where this conversation is going, maybe it's melancholy that's driving him to talk.

Hachiman: You mean the rule that forbids contact with the outside?

He is surprised by what I say.

Katsuragi: You are quite perceptive.

Hachiman: If you think about it logically, this school only offers advantages, either because of the prestige it offers or because it supports the students financially for three years, however the zero contact with the outside world makes it inevitable that we cannot communicate with our families.

Katsuragi: You are right. I didn't think about the consequences of enrolling in this academy.

Hachiman: If you want I can listen to you.

Katsuragi: Is it okay for you to start talking so casually with the rival class member you are trying to revoke?

I look at him blankly.

Hachiman: Haven't you been doing that all along?

Katsuragi:......... touche.

Hachiman: If you want we can make a contract to make you feel safe. We just met after all, but I can assure you one thing, I won't use personal information for class competitions.

I look him in the eye when I say this. I'm serious when I tell him this. I'm a hopeless bastard who likes to use under-the-table methods. But blackmailing with personal information is not my style.Well, mostly.

Katsuragi: I see, if any word that comes out of your mouth is a lie, I will be sure to crush you mercilessly.

Hachiman: Go ahead, consider this a promise between two men, who treasure their words. What we talk here will stay here.

It's a promise I'm not willing to break, it's quite impressive that someone as closed off in his personal life as Katsuragi is willing to tell me. It would leave a bad taste in my mouth to use this.

Katsuragi: I have a twin sister, she suffers from an illness and is in constant care, I feel sad that I can't celebrate her birthday together with her, since I'm the only one who can do it, our parents passed away after all.

Hachiman: I'm sorry to have touched a nerve.

Katsuragi: Don't be, I was the one who decided to tell you this, maybe I just needed to get it off my chest, nostalgia is a scary thing.

Nostalgia, it's a feeling that can convey many others.

Katsuragi: What about you? I don't feel it's fair for you to listen only to my problems.

Hachiman: Interested in me?

Katsuragi: I thought you needed an ear to vent too.

I wish I did, but I have too many problems, enough to keep you here for days.

Hachiman: I have various problems communicating with people. Don't get me wrong I am able to communicate when I should, but it feels strange when I do.

Katsuragi: You seem to have spent a lot of time alone.

Hachiman: I won't deny it, I don't know if it was the society that isolated me or it was me. Anyway, I think I've improved in the communication aspect. And how did you spend your school days?

I change the subject to him again.

Katsuragi: I spent most of my time being part of the student council. I liked to help organize the students.

Hachiman: jeeeee. You are quite serious. I can't say you don't look bad in the position. I guess you applied for membership in this school then.

Katsuragi: Yes, but I was rejected.

Hachiman: Oh? There are few people who could match your sense of responsibility.

Katsuragi:. We've only known each other for about fifteen minutes and you're already judging me.

Hachiman: You just give off that vibe, plus it's no mystery that you're the leader of the A class, and I don't think the elite of this school would pick just any guy.

Katsuragi: You're pretty cunning.

Hachiman: Thank you, I'll take that as a compliment.

I have to be careful what I say, this guy is too careful.

Katsuragi: In my opinion you're better than that girl who ran into me, in theory you wouldn't be better than someone with a cool head being the leader of your class.

Hachiman: Me? As a leader? Don't even think about it, it's a position that means a lot of work, and it's something I want to avoid at all costs.

It's a lie that I'm not the leader, however my feelings towards the position is true. I hate being the leader. Besides, me better than Horikita?

I don't think so, after all, she hasn't brought out her full potential, not to mention the fact that I have an extreme advantage, almost bordering on cheating. To console myself I prefer to say that we have different strengths focused on different fronts.

Katsuragi: So basically you don't like hard work.

Hachiman: Exactly, it would be the opposite of your personality.

Katsuragi: Hahahahahahaha, you really are a man who needs a lot of work.

This stiff guy can laugh too. Did I become a clown or something?

Hachiman: Yeah, yeah, laugh all you want, I'll be sure to get even.

Katsuragi: I apologize, I lost my composure a moment ago. I think it's time to get back on track. Let's get back to talking Hikigaya. Of course no competition in between, I'd like to have a chat over coffee.

Hachiman: It doesn't sound bad, but I'll tell you in advance that I can be very annoying, I won't be responsible for the psychological damage I can cause you.

He starts to walk away, raises his hand as a sign that I'm listening.

And leaves me in my thoughts. I didn't think I could talk to Katsuragi so easily.
Even more so without so much awkwardness. Contrary to his appearance he's a nice guy.