VOL 4 Chapter 11 In the shadows

It's already the second day of the cruise exam. My phone right now is full of messages and missed calls from   Kei , she's desperate. Maybe right now she is being harassed by   Manabe 's group. All that remains is for her to learn his lesson in a Spartan way.

The main problem lies in her exaggerated desire to protect herself, which is neglecting other things, leaving weak points visible, where she is very carefully observing every movement.

And now that I know he's being blackmailed. I'm sure he will make the move for her.

In addition to messages from   Kei  . There are the following messages.

The group (Cow), the group (Snake), and the group (Tiger). The exam for all those groups had ended due to the appearance of a traitor. 

I'm currently heading to a karaoke bar to talk to certain people.

This cruise really is gigantic, it contains all kinds of places, if it weren't for these stupid exams, it would be a luxury to be here.

I'm going to the room I booked, it's a pretty nice place, but the main reason I chose it was because of the neutrality, I couldn't speak comfortably. 

While I wait I go over what I want to do again.

When a   knock   interrupts my thoughts.

Hachiman : Go ahead.

With this two people belonging to class C enter.   Ichinose   Honami   and   Kanzaki   Ryuji.

Honami : Hachiman-kun.

Kanzaki :Hikigaya.

The two of them look at me calmly, I urge them to take a seat, they do so and we remain silent.

Kanzaki : What did you call us for?

I can hear a curious tone from his voice.

Hachiman : I just wanted to make sure of a few things.

Honami : Like which ones?

Hachiman : Is your class going in the direction you want?

My question takes them both by surprise.

Kanzaki : It's none of your business.

He puts himself in a defensive position, I expected it,   Kanzaki   is a careful person and follows logic like me, I am surprised by the fact that someone like that has been   uninformed   by    Honami , although to be honest,   Honami   has that special power. What makes it different from  Ryuuen   and  Sakayanagi.

It would take a long time to explain, so he better took out a folded piece of paper and handed it to   Honami.

Hachiman : Open it.

He carefully opens it, suddenly his eyes open. Seeing that the shock was quite big,   Kanzaki   also becomes nervous.

Kanzaki : Hey, Ichinose , what's wrong?

Honami : You……. How do you have this?

Honami   passes the sheet to   Kanzaki  , so that she understands the situation. Seeing the piece of paper, he is speechless.

Then the inquisitive looks go to my face, which is relaxed.

Hachiman : Now do you understand the situation?

Honami : How did you know?

Hachiman  : I can't reveal that yet, but I hope you understand that the victory and defeat of this exam does not depend on you.

What is written on the paper are the identities of the three C-class VIPs.

Hachiman  : I guess it's the first time we've encountered these facets. Let me introduce myself.

Although I think you already have an idea where the matter is going, it is better to make things clear.

Hachiman : I am   Hikigaya   Hachiman , temporary leader of class B.

Silence reigns in the karaoke room, a place that should be filled with people singing is now silent.

That doesn't take away from the fact that my face is burning, i tried to keep my face as relaxed as possible, it doesn't take away from the fact that this is my second time performing. It sounded cooler in my head.

They both look at me shocked. Until….

Honami  :   pfffffffft  ……..   hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

She's laughing.

She's laughing so hard she's holding her stomach.

Calm down   Hachiman  , take a deep breath and exhale.

It is not the first time you have faced this situation, you have said many uncomfortable things, for something like this to destroy you.

Kanzaki   who previously looked at me with displeasure, just looks at   Honami   laugh, then turns to me and gives me a look of empathy.

It seems that he knows the pain I suffer, however he does not take away what is painful.

We wait in silence until   Honami   stops laughing. When she finally stops doing it. She wipes some tears from her face, you know, that hurts.

Maybe that was why I stopped being a   chuuni  . The looks of shame and ridicule destroyed me emotionally.

Honami :   haaaaaaaaa  ……… I haven't laughed like that in days.

Hachiman : Thanks for laughing at my big reveal.

Honami : Sorry, the moment was supposed to be serious, it's just that your face didn't help at all.

Hachiman : i apologized to me for being born like this.

Kanzaki : Can we go back to the previous conversation? We are deviating.

As always the voice of reason interrupts. At least that helps to get through this embarrassing moment.

Honami : I must say that I am not very surprised, I would say that it is the opposite, now everything adds up, you are the mysterious figure behind the promotion of class B.

Kanzaki : It was a big surprise for us with the -S system, did you also have something to do with the last exam?

Hachiman : Right.

Kanzaki : I see, what is your goal? It seems that you already have the names of the VIPs in our class, so I can guess that the messages we received were your doing.

Honami : From the beginning you had us all walking at your own pace, you managed to evade the radars of all classes. So I accompany   Kanzaki-kun   in asking him.

Hachiman : My goal? Obviously move up to class A, but that is already achieved, no matter what any of you do,   after   this exam we will become class A.

Their gazes become instantly sharp. 

Kanzaki  : Then the termination of the Monkey group was also your hand.

I have to correct that mistake.

Hachiman : That's why I apologized, it was   Koenji   who acted individually, I'm really sorry that I hurt you.

Honami : It seems like you have your problems too. Still that doesn't answer our question: What do you want? You could easily give us the knockout blow, and your points would increase drastically. Not only that, you could easily master the other classes.

Hachiman : You're right, right now I'm the master of this exam, I could just end this exam on my own, but that won't align with my goal. 

It's true that this exam became anticlimactic because of me, it doesn't have as many external factors as the desert island, it's just riddles that if you have the answer beforehand it becomes very monotonous.

Hachiman : If I finish this exam, I will most likely end up with a united front against my class, it is true that we would have a large amount of points, however if the three classes were to work together, it would be a matter of time that tear us all apart.

Honami  : So you came with the class you are allied with, aren't you afraid that we will betray you for the sake of overthrowing you?

Hachiman : It seems like you're already talking about betrayal. You've matured a little.

Honami : I've been thinking a lot about the words you told me.

Kanzaki  : So   Hikigaya   had to do with   Ichinose's unusual mood.

Honami  : Yes, I have thought about it for a long time, this is the conclusion I came to, I will do everything possible to take my class to the top, even if that means I will have to beat you.

She points her index finger at me, I don't know if I did the right thing in making her see a little bit of reality, but I don't regret it, if this girl starts squeezing her potential right now, her class will become one of the biggest annoyances. 

As a rival I feel threatened, however as a friend I am happy that she can improve.

Hachiman : I see, then I can no longer trust the good kindness of class C to not betray us. So I'm going to trust in something that never fails.

Human beings since ancient times have had one thing for which they would risk their mind and body.

The profits.

Hachiman : I will tell you a list of conditions, I know they will benefit you.

Kanzaki : So you want to reach a deal. It doesn't make sense. What do you gain by giving us those benefits?

Hachiman : It's not obvious, a meat shield.

My response leaves both of them with their mouths open and their eyes wide open. It is a crude response.

Honami : Disgusting.

Kanzaki : I agree, I felt nauseous all of a sudden.

Hachiman : Hey, hey, wait until I finish explaining.

They let me continue, even with looks of repudiation.

Hachiman : Maybe I said it too rustic, but what I mean is that right now class D is desperate so their goal is to focus on you class C, this test is an opportunity to get away from them. It's up to you if you want to do it,   also   if you manage to rise, class A will feel threatened.

Kanzaki : So you're saying we'd be a bigger bait. It's too convenient for you, I don't think it's something we accept, you said it if the three classes unite it would be very easy to defeat them. 

Hachiman : That's correct, but are you sure that you are able to keep up with the other classes.

Honami : Are you implying that we are not capable of doing it?

She frowns.

Hachiman : It saves me from having to tell you with my words, but yes, I don't think that in the current state of your class you will be able to fight against class A and D, do you know why?

They both look at me with some annoyance, I'm insulting them right now. 

Hachiman : It's because class A and D do everything they can to reach the top, even if it involves dirty tricks or cunning schemes. Although you have something that they could never achieve, the unity of the class. That's why I want you to be able to stand up against those other two classes. This way it would be two against two, although of course we will continue competing for the top.

They both have thoughtful faces, they are calculating that they can win and lose, I can give them a big advantage at this moment. It is not going to be a servile relationship between the two of us, we will only use each other for our benefits.

Kanzaki : What do you propose?

Hachiman : I will give you the name of four VIPs, this way you will have a sum of two hundred class points. I already took the D-class VIPs on my own.

Honami : Something doesn't add up, you said that you took the names of the VIPs from Class D, and that you were going to give us four names. That's all that's left is class A and...... wait, don't tell me.

Hachiman : You are quick to understand, correct I will sell class A and give you the name of a VIP of my class, you can consider it as an apology on my part, for the action of   Koenji.

Kanzaki : Aren't you being arrogant?

Hachiman : I already told you, nothing will change, even if the three VIPs are discovered, our class will still advance to class A.

I just need you guys to sink class A.

Honami : So basically we'll just be bait for the other classes while you take the win.

Hachiman : Right.

Honami : What happens if we don't accept? Based on what we have discussed, you would lose a lot. You seem to be more desperate than us.

It's true. The situation does not look favorable for me.

Hachiman : Simple, if you don't accept, when this meeting is over, I will have my classmates sell all the VIPs of the other classes, which would give us a terrifying amount of 450 points, if you guess the VIPs of my class , only   would remain   about 150 points, so I have about 300 points left while you guys fight over the crumbs.

The expression of both becomes tense.

Hachiman : Or should I sell the VIPs to   Ryuuen ? In this way your class would become class D,   sending you   to the bottom.

Honami : It's incredible, in conclusion, you are going to fall but you will take us with you.

Hachiman : Exactly.

Kanzaki : how dirty.

I know, but to be successful at some things you have to be willing to work with the clay.

Hachiman : Well, what decision do you want to make?

Honami : It seems more like blackmail than negotiation.

Kanzaki  : What do we do   Ichinose  ? I can't deny that it's a tempting offer, but now I can't trust him anymore, he was practically playing with all the classes from the shadows. He is someone who is quite astute.

Honami :   Kanzaki-kun , you are misunderstanding something, this is going to be a relationship where we will both look for what we need, that is, we can form an aggression pact if the two parties agree, according to their needs we can reject your offer if it hurts us, I also can't deny that I feel a little offended that you didn't tell me, but this is a competition.

It seems like my words made a small hole in that skull of her,   injecting   some malice. It's very disgusting to say it like that, but I think you get the point.

Honami : I've already decided, I'm going to fight for our class to become A, even if that involves making alliances with things of dubious origin.

Saying it like that makes me sound like a can of unbranded tuna. It hurts quite a bit, and even more so coming from the kind   Honami , but she still has a way to go.

Honami :   Hachiman-kun , this is an alliance based on cost/benefit, don't be offended if we stabbed you in the back, nor when you are no longer useful to us.

Hachiman : Saying it like that will make you look like a bad woman. But that's okay, I guess that's one way to accept my proposal.

Honami  : Correct, we accept your proposal. Wait, we're going to unseat you from the top.

Hachiman : Wait……. I think you are misunderstanding something.

My answer takes them by surprise.

Hachiman : You forgot what I said in my presentation.

Kanzaki: It's true, it's something that's been on my mind. What did you mean by “temporary leader”?

Honami : Oh, I forgot, that was part I laughed at.

This girl…

Hachiman : The reason I said that was simply because after this exam I will no longer be the class leader.

Honami   and   Kanzaki  : Huh?

Hachiman : My goal as a leader was to promote to class A, from then on it is no longer my problem. From now on they will have to do with   Horikita   and the others.

Kanzaki : Wait a damn second. Why?!

I see   Kanzaki   very upset, it seems that I made a fuse in his brain burn.

Hachiman : Well, it's too much work for me.

Honami : So you want to slack off again, don't you?

Hachiman : It hurts that you say it that way, but in a nutshell, yes.

Their hands meet their faces.

Honami : I don't know whether to feel relieved that I won't have to talk to you about these matters again.

Kanzaki : Was this guy playing with us from the beginning? What a bad joke.

In some ways I would like to apologize for how disappointing this revelation was. Change of subject so that the wind takes away this bad atmosphere.

Hachiman  : Anyway, let's talk about the names of the VIPs I'm going to give you.

Honami : Okay.

I handed him another piece of paper that was in my other pocket and handed it to him.

Honami : As I thought, everyone is from class A, but I don't see your classmate's name.

Hachiman  : That's because you have him in front of you.

Kanzaki  : Don't tell me you're also the VIP.

Hachiman : Right.

Honami :   Mako  -chan, she said that the VIP must be someone cowardly and ambitious, I think she was right.

Hachiman  :   Ichinose  -san, please avoid saying such hurtful things, you are destroying the little self-esteem I have left.

Honami : I see, that's a shame, I'm sorry it was a harsh thing to say.

At least she's reconsidering.

Honami : I would be insulting all the cowardly and ambitious people in the world by comparing them to you.

It is in these moments that he asked me.

Was it okay to turn it this way? 
If this happens, my poor heart will break into a thousand pieces.